Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

The unusual Kriegsverdienstmedaille

Article about: I feel the phrase More than meets the eye can be applied here. I haven’t found a similar thread on this forum so thought it might be useful. Kriegsverdienstmedailles are pretty common and pr

?

Default The unusual Kriegsverdienstmedaille

I feel the phrase More than meets the eye can be applied here. I haven’t found a similar thread on this forum so thought it might be useful. Kriegsverdienstmedailles are pretty common and pretty cheap. I think they are a bit underrated to an extant. So when I checked the war merit cross book again I learnt there was few variations of the medal . So I checked all my websites/shops and found TWO examples of This variation , so I would deem this variation very uncommon if that sounds fair. That variation being the binding rings which across all war merit crosses that are placed on top and bottom are placed on the sides. I am referring to the rings around the leaves.

These sideways binding ring war merit medals seem to usually be a much darker colour. The one in the book and the one I bought and the last one online were all darker coloured than normal war merit medals. They also feel somewhat cheaper made and lighter than my normal war merit medal.

The unusual KriegsverdienstmedailleThe unusual KriegsverdienstmedailleThe unusual Kriegsverdienstmedaille
    There is also quite a noticeable size difference between the normal version and unusual variation
    Here is a nice comparison. The binding rings are really faint on the unusual variant.
    Hopefully this thread might make some people check their medals and see if they have the unusual variation

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The unusual Kriegsverdienstmedaille
    P
    Many

That is interesting really. I have never noticed any significant difference between them so far, but I actually probably have seen or even had some of these second uncommon variant. Thank you for sharing this, I will now examine all kvk medals narrowly, maybe I would find one of these.

Best regards,
    Franko

BMB
    ?

Hey!
    There are also variants that have veins in the oak leaves, how unusual they are, I do not know.

It looks like the two medals you show that one is in brass and that with the "twisted" oak leaf wreath is in bronze. This is of course IMO.

Brass = Copper and Zinc
    Bronze = Copper and Tin.

Probably the color will be a little different on how much you mix the copper with the zinc alternative tin.

Best Regards
    Martin

?

Do you have any pictures of the vein version?

BMB
    ?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the vein version?
    A little hard with the light but here's a picture.

?

Edit- so that would be 4 binders on the top?

Thanks! Im gonna go check my websites again and try find one

BMB
    ?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Edit- so that would be 4 binders on the top?

Thanks! Im gonna go check my websites again and try find one
    I'll check it out tomorrow I just put in the stuff.

BMB
    ?

Hey!
    No, it's only three, but it was hard to see on the picture. Here are some new pictures to look at.

Best Regards
    Martin