Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??

Article about: Hi guys, my first post and I'm glad to be here. I'm new to collecting WWII medals. I want to buy a war merit cross and I found one that is in pristine condition. I was wondering if anyone co

?

Default Re: War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??

Quote by ian View Post
    im talking about the cross in post 4 i personaly think this one is bad it is very poorly made , the detail is terrable and the swaz is all out of proporsion , no i dont think its the angle of the pic IMHO its a bad one ,cheers ian
    and the left arm is all out of prportion to the others
    We'll agree to disagree on that one!
    I think it's a mid war produced tombak example. There appears to be white residue from something, possibly a cleaning agent in the crevices. The details look fine, lighting in the photo could be better but from these pics, I would call it an original example.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??
    P
    Many

ian
    ?

i bow to your greater knowlage and experiance , we all learn every day ,
    cheers my friend ian

Both look fine to me.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by AdrianC View Post
    We'll agree to disagree on that one!
    I think it's a mid war produced tombak example. There appears to be white residue from something, possibly a cleaning agent in the crevices. The details look fine, lighting in the photo could be better but from these pics, I would call it an original example.
    I wonder how many good items have been binned because of crap photography and vice -versa for that matter?!

Jock

?

Quote by ian View Post
    i bow to your greater knowlage and experiance , we all learn every day ,
    cheers my friend ian
    I may not be right Ian and will happily stand corrected if better photos show my observations to be wrong.

Quote by jock auld View Post
    I wonder how many good items have been binned because of crap photography and vice -versa for that matter?!

Jock
    I don't even want to think about that Jock. Nor do I want to think about the items that have just been thrown away by people clearing relatives possessions, house clearances, by accident, ignorance......etc......etc......
    As a side note, there was an incident recently where a genuine K&Q RK was being sold as a repro because the seller had been told as such. Luckily it was spotted and saved. The seller could easily have binned it believing it to be fake........

ian
    ?

god forbid that anything like that should happen ,BUT is that not what this forum is about , a good debate should result in a difinative answer ??
    cheers guys ian

I think I'm getting too paranoid these days with all these fakes around.
    Tom

?

Quote by StuG III View Post
    I think I'm getting too paranoid these days with all these fakes around.
    Tom
    Being paranoid could save you money Tom!

Quote by StuG III View Post
    I had the same thought Nick, the numbers just look a bit off although the rest of the detail doesn't look too bad.
    Could you please post photos that are straight on and not at an angle?
    Tom
    Well, here is a close up of the apparently questionable '1939s' on the first two. Does this help?

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm leaning toward buying the first example I posted. The site I found these on has a lot of merchandise and looks very reputable. I know that's no real indication of the authenticity of these pieces, but the seller has many pieces that include original issue documents, issue envelopes and boxes. If these were fake he would probably know about it, and I don't think he's in the business to dupe you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??   War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??  

?

I still don't have any issues with these crosses and would be happy to buy them as original.
    I've attached a pic below of a few examples from my collection showing different materials, finishes and details.
    The top two are tombak, the middle is brass and the bottom two are zinc. You will notice the differences in details vary widely from the bottom left, the middle and the top two examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Merit Cross in immaculate condition. Is it authentic??  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2