Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dropped my Red Star today , Damaged , repair help ?

Article about: It is sad but it's a fact of collecting life that every day stuff gets lost, stolen or destroyed...or thrown away (see Joe's 'garbage finds' thread, if you dare).

That is a pity and really, there is nothing to be 100% amicably done about it. I have a couple of ORS that are damaged as they were worn in combat. I display them on well worn and salty combat uniforms.

Does it have a wartime serial №?
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dropped my Red Star today , Damaged  , repair help ?
    P
    Many

I've done enamel repair and it's Very difficult to get it right-especially if you are not familiar with working with it and do not have the facilitys to bake it at the proper temperature. You need to match the existing color Perfectly, or it will stick out like a sore thumb and the proper thickness must be spot on or it will be immediately apparent. I would strongly suggest that you take it to a jeweler who does enamel repair work. If he is competent, it should possible to repair it to look like new.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by RichieC View Post
    That is a pity and really, there is nothing to be 100% amicably done about it. I have a couple of ORS that are damaged as they were worn in combat. I display them on well worn and salty combat uniforms.

Does it have a wartime serial №?
    Yes it does , late 1944

- - ------- - -

I have done small repair work before , but will try and get this one done .

?

You have my deepest condolences. I hope you have some luck in getting it repaired!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

It's extremely difficult (and probably expensive) to replace the enamel in such a way that it looks more or less like before. I would not do anything about it.

Dom
    ?

Do not touch the damage are part of its history .

I've heard of enamel being replaced and it is expensive. Some people do it here, by sending to Russia and the results have been very bad sometimes. So much that it makes the awards look fake.

I agree with Dom,its now part of the history of the item..restoration would be expensive in Australia and would make it look unnatural ..these things happen mate

I dunno...personally, I don't see that you've got anything to lose by trying. You'll need to find a jewelry repairman that Specializes in quality enamel repair, though-rather than just one that Can do enamel repair. As the badge sits now, how can you damage it further? The remaining enamel will be a good way to match the color perfectly. And if it fails Anyway? What's the loss? It's basically ruined now, so you can only go up from here.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wasting time and money that could be better used on a replacement is a solid reason for not trying to repair it with the apparent dubious chance of success...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast