Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dropped my Red Star today , Damaged , repair help ?

Article about: It is sad but it's a fact of collecting life that every day stuff gets lost, stolen or destroyed...or thrown away (see Joe's 'garbage finds' thread, if you dare).

Quote by lithgow View Post
    'D,oh!' as Homer would say...
    that "doh" was originally from the scottish actor james findlayson from laurel and hardy, simpsons "simp"ly stole it from that

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dropped my Red Star today , Damaged  , repair help ?
    P
    Many

True, but enameling is,apparently, much less costly to do here in the States than it is overseas. And, besides, what could it hurt to have a enameler take a look at it and see what they think? The worst that could happen is they say "Nope...can't be done."
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

out of curiousity how much are those badges worth in undropped condtion?

Depending on the age,and recipient....generally around a hundred dollars. But, keep in mind, when doing restoration work on Anything, a person almost never gets his "investment" back. Restore an old car sometime, and you'll see what I mean! If you restore something, basically, it's because you want to preserve something special from being lost forever.
    William

?

The main problem is not whether or not it can be repaired - I'm pretty sure it can - it is trying to make the enamel look like before and not ruining the rest of the order in the restoration process. The color of enamel powder is different than the molten end result. Most likely you will end up with two arms of the star looking quite different than the other three, and the heat required to melt the enamel powder could easily ruin parts of the silver and remaining enamel.

I am 100% agreement with Auke. I would like to add that the money you will most likely pay for this "risk" will equal or be greater than the amount you will need to lay out for an undamaged example...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Quote by Auke View Post
    The main problem is not whether or not it can be repaired - I'm pretty sure it can - it is trying to make the enamel look like before and not ruining the rest of the order in the restoration process. The color of enamel powder is different than the molten end result. Most likely you will end up with two arms of the star looking quite different than the other three, and the heat required to melt the enamel powder could easily ruin parts of the silver and remaining enamel.
    This is, of course, why you would need to go to a professional who specializes in enamel repair. They certainly know how to tint and match color if they are any competent workman. Do you think that a restorationist would hand the finished badge back to you and say "Well...it's Kind of close to the color...."? So, the bottom line is, you can either keep a horribly damaged WWII era badge, or throw it to the bin with a sigh, or have a professional look at if for an opinion and possible restoration. A,B or C....the choice is yours. Personally, I think it's worth at least trying to save, as it's a WWII issued badge, but I would at least throw it out there for a few opinions first before I gave up on it. Sometimes Price isn't the only deciding factor to consider.
    William

Don't feel bad, I did that once, too. I only had a small chip off one arm, but it is also a late 1944 award. So sad.

What is the actual serial № of the piece in question?
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Sell it on ebay with the description ' combat worn, damaged during the assault of the Reichstag ' should get a fair bit for it.......( all said with tongue firmly placed in cheek,,,,, please don't expel me).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast