Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My 3rd Order of the Red Star. #1285532

Article about: My lovely girlfriend gifted me my 3rd Order of the Red Star. This one is serial number: 1285532. It's lower than my other two Red Stars (1510538, 1529161) and I promise to post research resu

Default Re: My 3rd Order of the Red Star. #1285532

Thanks for taking a look, gentlemen!

I know of Soviet commisars, but I don't know too much about them... I see that the individual who was awarded this Red Star was wounded... How close were the commisars to front line combat?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My 3rd Order of the Red Star. #1285532
    P
    Many

Hi Joe, Political Commisars were certainly up there at the front.

Hitler ordered them to all be shot out of hand if taken prisoner.

Early in the war they had dual control of the unit they were attached to. This of course proved to be totally unworkable and was later withdrawn.

They in many ways forfilled the role of the Chaplain in Western Armies. Ensuring the men were well looked after, reading them mail, writing to relatives, etc. Of course they were there to ensure Political indoctrination. On the whole by the end of the war they were well respected by the men.

They wore a distinctive red star insignia on the cuff of the tunic.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Joe, Political Commisars were certainly up there at the front.

Hitler ordered them to all be shot out of hand if taken prisoner.

Early in the war they had dual control of the unit they were attached to. This of course proved to be totally unworkable and was later withdrawn.

They in many ways forfilled the role of the Chaplain in Western Armies. Ensuring the men were well looked after, reading them mail, writing to relatives, etc. Of course they were there to ensure Political indoctrination. On the whole by the end of the war they were well respected by the men.

They wore a distinctive red star insignia on the cuff of the tunic.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, thanks for taking the time to respond!

Did commisars fight very often, or were they more behind the scenes?

I guess I had a misconception that the commisars were fat cats that spouted off political and propaganda mumbo jumbo much to the chagrin of frontline soldiers. I also thought commisars were in charge of the blocking units that would machine gun their own retreating troops following a failed attack.

Hi Joe, there is a common misconception that they were well behind the front line.

You are mixing up Political Commisars with NKVD blocking units.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Joe, there is a common misconception that they were well behind the front line.

Cheers, Ade.
    Got it, thanks!

I am very proud to have a commisar's Order of the Red Star in my collection!

I would be too

Very nice award and documentation. I need to have a couple more of mine researched.

Cheers, Ade.
    So is the whole 'machine-gunning the retreaters' thing out of Enemy at the Gates true? I thought that that was just Hollywood history.

Hi Mo, not a Hollywood thing.

Blocking units were either NKVD or regular RKKA units under NKVD command. This all came under Stalins Order Order No. 227: “Not A Step Back”.

Things were going badly for the Soviets and harsh measures were put in place to prevent unauthorised retreats or desertions.

BLOCKING DETACHMENTS

Cheers, Ade.

JMM
    ?

You're very lucky to have a girlfriend like that - Keep her!
    Great red star by the way

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast