Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first Order of the Red Star: 678782

Article about: Hi all, So my 1944 issue ORS arrived in the mail today. Was very happy. Shout out to Auke de Vleiger for setting up the deal for me . Was an incredible feeling unwrapping it and holding #678

?

Thumbs up My first Order of the Red Star: 678782

Hi all,

So my 1944 issue ORS arrived in the mail today. Was very happy. Shout out to Auke de Vleiger for setting up the deal for me .

Was an incredible feeling unwrapping it and holding #678782 in my hand for the first time. Beautiful award.

Anyway here are some pictures. I apologise for the poor quality. I took them at night with bad lighting.

My first Order of the Red Star: 678782My first Order of the Red Star: 678782My first Order of the Red Star: 678782

I'm waiting for Auke to come back with the translation for the award, so I'll post that when I get it.

And it's true, you can't just stop at one ORS. While I was browsing a site last night for some wehrmacht awards, I came across these two:

So I gobbled those up, as they were very reasonably priced. ORS #1377745 and Medal for Courage #2598579 are on their way from Germany.

These will probably arrive next week:

These were my first real soviet medals, awarded in 1959 and 1963 to Lt Robert Petrovich:

So my collection now stands at:

x2 ORS with documents
    x1 Medal for Courage
    x1 Victory over Germany medal
    x1 Zhukov commemoratory medal
    x2 Irreproachable service medals (15 and 20 years) with document
    x1 Guards badge
    x1 unissued US purple heart medal

All I need to finish my collection now is a OPW 2nd class. I'd like a war issue one, but my budget will restrict me to a 1985 issue medal.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by DioMac; 06-22-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: pictures

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first Order of the Red Star: 678782
    P
    Many

?

Default re: My first Order of the Red Star: 678782

RSs are indeed beauty! Nice buy

Very nice, cant wait to find out why it was ordered. Love he second one to, going to get that researched?

Jason

?

Thats the plan!

Trolling through ebay just now, I found a '25 years of victory' badge that was awarded to Robert Petrovich in 1970, by that stage he was a Captain.

So I bought that for $6 to go with his long service medals Be nice if I could build up a little grouping for him.

Good stuff mate, got to love medals for that kind of price!

Some nice items. I look forwards to hearing more about the research.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Nice stuff mate!

?

Hi all, Auke sent me through the history today! Here is the summary for you all

1. Last name: Vasiliadi
    2. First name and patronymic: Nikolai Mikhailovich
    3. Military rank: Lieutenant
    4. Sex: Male
    5. Year of birth: 1918
    6. Place of birth: Tetri-Tskaro Raion, Georgian SSR
    7. Party membership (since which year): Member of the Communist Party since 1944
    8. Education: Secondary
    9. Nationality: Greek
    10. Since which year in the Red Army: 1940
    11. Place of service (name of the unit) and position at the time of the award: Platoon leader in the 16th Independent Signal Regiment
    12. Current place of service and position: Company commander in the 16th Independent Signal Regiment
    13. Home address of the awardee: Village of Malaya Iraga, Tetri-Tskaro Raion, Georgian SSR

During the elimination of the enemy forces at Stalingrad he managed to keep the telephone cables leading to the subordinate Air Force units in continuous operation, despite the complicated combat situation, being exposed to enemy fire, and possessing just a small number of people. This helped the headquarters to lead the troops and contributed to their success.
    While adjusting the telephone cables leading to the subordinate Air Force units near Oryol and Nezhin, he repaired several breaks in difficult working conditions. Not allowing himself time to rest he kept the telephone cables in continuous operation. Near Gomel and during the capture of the cities of Mozyr and Kalinkovich he provided six army cable nodes with trailing wires in a punctual and timely manner, despite his small number of people and the difficult working conditions. He trained and educated his men in using a captured heavy cable and applied thorough camouflage to the cable junction entry points. He correctly and technically competently operates the telephone cables, which enables the command to lead the troops without intermissions.
    For his skillful leadership in maintaining the communications and his bravery and boldness displayed during the fighting with the German invaders, I nominate him for the Order of the Red Star.
    Commander of the 16th Independent Signal Regiment
    Lieutenant Colonel

?

Here is an extract from the 'Marxists Internet archive' for 07 July 1944, when the Lt was 'awarded' the ORS:

'Order of the Day, addressed to Marshal Rokossovsky, announces that troops of the First Byelorussian Front on July 6, captured the town of Kovel, an important strongpoint of the German defences and large railway junction. The Order mentions 18 commanders of troops, artillerymen, airmen and sappers whose units and formations have distinguished themselves.

A salute of 12 salvoes was fired by 124 Moscow guns.'

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think 'Kovel' could be another spelling for Gomel, as contained in his award sheet?

Hi, Gomel and Kovel are two separate places I think you will find.

Does the Nationality actually say "Greek"?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast