Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My first Order of the Red Star: 678782

Article about: Hi all, So my 1944 issue ORS arrived in the mail today. Was very happy. Shout out to Auke de Vleiger for setting up the deal for me . Was an incredible feeling unwrapping it and holding #678

?

Default re: My first Order of the Red Star: 678782

Yeah, further research has shown that up ;-)

It does indeed say Greek. Which i think is remarkable. He came from Georgia.

His record sheet shows he went from Stalingrad, through Poland and onto Berlin itself, for which he received all the relevant campaign medals.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first Order of the Red Star: 678782
    P
    Many

It is a nice citation. It seems a lot of signalmen were rightly decorated for this kind of work.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

It must have been a difficult job.

While they where probably operating just behind the lines, they would have been prime targets for snipers, mortar and artillery. Not to mention capture and interrogation. All the while they would be trying to do a complex technical task.

Glad he survived the war.

My other 1945 issue ORS turns up next week, so I'll probably get that researched as well.

?

Very nice grouping and very nice citation! It must have been quite a rush when you saw Stalingrad on Auke's write-up!

?

Indeed it was Gizmo, he must have seen a lot of action in his time!

The fact that he was Greek is even more interesting to me personally. My grandfather killed a Greek communist tank crew member during the 1960s, when he was working there as a building laborer.

The tank had shown up in the village where he was working, and the crew were causing a ruckus and doing a lot of damage to the village, so the local people asked him and his workmates to do something about it.

The approached the tank from behind, stuffed a pile of wet clothes in one of the tracks and waited for it to take off.

When it couldn't move, one of the crew got out to investigate, and my grandfather shot him. The rest of the crew were taken prisoner.

He later married a Greek woman.

Great research on the star, got to be pretty happy with what he did for it. Geez I love these things

Jason

?

So my second ORS arrived today, along with its booklet and a bravery medal. It's a circa 1947 award, so could be a late award or a long service piece. It's missing some enamel on the 3 o'clock arm.

My first Order of the Red Star: 678782My first Order of the Red Star: 678782My first Order of the Red Star: 678782

These were advertised as belonging to a single recipient, so I'd be inclined to get this one researched, as there could be a story hidden away in the archives.

The bravery medal in relatively good condition. It's obviously had a bit of an impact, as you can see some warping along the bottom right side. Eyelet is original, although it looks like a post war suspension and ribbon.

Looks good mate. Definatly post war suspension on the bravery award. Would be interested to find what these two were awarded for.

Cheers
    Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2