Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Red Star #8532

Article about: Hi, My father gave me this beauty a while ago. Said my granpa brought it home from the WW2. Either he got it from Winter War 1939-40 or the Continuation War 1941-44 (while occupying Soviet-K

?

Hello
    Interesting. There is no award decree for Winter war from 29 May 1940.
    This means when you say "the date of issue", you mean the date when the cavalier got his award in hand.
    I guess, the information is from an award handout protocol. Could you possibly share the scan showing his name?
    There were 12 SEREBRYAKOVs awarded for the Winter war. But none of them have initials "V.V.".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Star #8532
    P
    Many

Maybe it´s B.B.?

Red Star #8532

Very nice award!

?

OK. Thank you for the document.
    First of all, I could easily find practically all the other men from the list you posted. But not exactly SEREBRYAKOV.
    This is because, as I said, none of the 12 men with the same surname have exactly the same initials (V.V. - Russian: B.B. )

But, I think I found him: Серебряков Василий Фенифонтьевич (SEREBRYAKOV Vasily Fenifontievich).
    He was a medic. Awarded Red Star by decree of 21 March 1940.
    His patronymic is quite rare. And it can be spelled differently. In my list it starts with "F", but in your list with "V". It can also be spelled with "B" (as Latin B).
    Possible patronymic spellings: Fenifontievich, Vanifatovich, Banifatovich.
    His father's name was Boniface, which is not very common in Russia, hence different spellings.

In 1941 he served as hospital company commander, 101 medical battalion, 43 rifle division, 23 army, Leningrad front.
    He was killed on 31 August 1941.
    I guess, it happened during the Battle of Porlampi, South of Viborg when the 43RD was surrounded by the Finnish forces.

The Soviet medical train near Porlampi:

Red Star #8532

You keep surprising me with your research Igor. Amazing work you deliver every single time!!

Thank you so much Igor for your fantastic revelations. I believe you are correct in your research because according to Finnish Infantry Regiment 45 (JR 45) war diaries, my grandfather's unit was in Porlammi at the time you mentioned. Those Russians were the ones that fled from the city of Viborg after it fell to the Finns. Porlammi-Sommee was the biggest encirclement ("motti" in finnish) of the Continuation War as the finnish army got their largest loot of enemy military equipment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3