Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

FLL Nahkampfspange in Silver....Original??

Article about: Hi, it seems that the bayonet on the first medal has been knocked. Do you think that's normal?

Default re: FLL Nahkampfspange in Silver....Original??

Hi, it seems that the bayonet on the first medal has been knocked.
    Do you think that's normal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FLL Nahkampfspange in Silver....Original??
    P
    Many

It doesn't look like a knock (dent/scratch), it looks like a blob of metal as Stewy has already pointed out as a possible die flaw, yet it is not a die flaw I have seen (not that I am an expert either).
    I'd need to see better photos of the first one, especially the hinge, catch, makers mark and obverse features.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    It doesn't look like a knock (dent/scratch), it looks like a blob of metal as Stewy has already pointed out as a possible die flaw, yet it is not a die flaw I have seen (not that I am an expert either).
    I'd need to see better photos of the first one, especially the hinge, catch, makers mark and obverse features.
    At first it looks good?

The first 6 pictures belong to a medal and another medal 4 other different.

Its not obviously bad if that's what you mean but that doesn't make it good either. Like I say, more detailed photos are necessary. These things aren't exactly rare by the way so if you are in the market for a silver CCC theres plenty out there, one's you wouldn't have to worry about. With a bit of patience you might save yourself some heartache later.

If the price is cheap it might be worth taking a chance but if it is a bargain then I would be asking myself, "why so cheap"?

Ok I'll try to ask Glenn66 best pictures, if the seller ignores already that is.

The new pictures that I sent the seller
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FLL Nahkampfspange in Silver....Original??   FLL Nahkampfspange in Silver....Original??  

FLL Nahkampfspange in Silver....Original??   FLL Nahkampfspange in Silver....Original??  

Any opinion?

Well after closer inspection of your new photos I have to say I would avoid this one for the following reasons. Now I only have some common knowledge and Thomas Durante's book to go by so take my comments as an opinion only. If no-one on WRF is giving more expert opinion then I'd suggest posting this over on the GCA forum where Thomas is a moderator.

Having said that, here's what I don't like about the obverse:

1. Bleed over of fluting to the top left scroll
    2. Strange die marks in all 4 acorns
    3. The already mentioned blob of metal in the blood gutter
    4. Another strange die mark on the bayonet blade near the handle (possibly a carry-on of the line seen in the grip)
    5. Another strange die mark in the lower left arm of the swastika

Now this could all be the result of the blank moving slightly during the striking process but I don't know enough about the process to say for sure. Common sense tells me that if the blank shifted, wouldn't the rest of the detail be out of true as well? Perhaps also these 'features' were common before the 1.14.1 die was changed to the 1.14.2 but again I don't know for sure. I'm sure Mr Durante can help on that one either way.

If it was me, I would pass on this as those 5 points I just can't be sure about.

Glenn

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Well after closer inspection of your new photos I have to say I would avoid this one for the following reasons. Now I only have some common knowledge and Thomas Durante's book to go by so take my comments as an opinion only. If no-one on WRF is giving more expert opinion then I'd suggest posting this over on the GCA forum where Thomas is a moderator.

Having said that, here's what I don't like about the obverse:

1. Bleed over of fluting to the top left scroll
    2. Strange die marks in all 4 acorns
    3. The already mentioned blob of metal in the blood gutter
    4. Another strange die mark on the bayonet blade near the handle (possibly a carry-on of the line seen in the grip)
    5. Another strange die mark in the lower left arm of the swastika

Now this could all be the result of the blank moving slightly during the striking process but I don't know enough about the process to say for sure. Common sense tells me that if the blank shifted, wouldn't the rest of the detail be out of true as well? Perhaps also these 'features' were common before the 1.14.1 die was changed to the 1.14.2 but again I don't know for sure. I'm sure Mr Durante can help on that one either way.

If it was me, I would pass on this as those 5 points I just can't be sure about.

Glenn
    I'm with you Glen. There's just too many inconsistancies.There's more credible examples out there. Stewy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast