Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nahkampfspange bronze A.G.M.u.K Gablonz authentic?

Article about: Hello, I am full of doubt with this Nahkampfspange. I have compared it with my example in silber from the same MM (authentic, showed in a previous post), I would say it's genuine as well but

Default Nahkampfspange bronze A.G.M.u.K Gablonz authentic?

Hello,

I am full of doubt with this Nahkampfspange. I have compared it with my example in silber from the same MM (authentic, showed in a previous post), I would say it's genuine as well but I don't feel comfortable with the color which seems very dark, I am not sure it is the appropriate metal for this award...
    What do you think about it?

thank you by advance for comments.

BR,

Pierre

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nahkampfspange bronze A.G.M.u.K Gablonz authentic?
    P
    Many

Looks O.K. to me, a large font indented crimp type 1.1.1 with a fluted pin. I'd be interested to see better shots of the catch, it looks a little flat when it should be round wire. The finish on these is noted for being high quality, very little wear, (maybe only to the high points), is not uncommon to find.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I must concur with my learned colleague above yet would add an observation that the hinge base should be cast as an integral part of the reverse yet there appears to be corrosion (or solder) surrounding the hinge base. Given the fluted pin is not usual to a type 1.1.1, I wonder if the entire hinge/pin/catch assembly has been repaired?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I must concur with my learned colleague above yet would add an observation that the hinge base should be cast as an integral part of the reverse yet there appears to be corrosion (or solder) surrounding the hinge base. Given the fluted pin is not usual to a type 1.1.1, I wonder if the entire hinge/pin/catch assembly has been repaired?
    Hi Glenn,

The fluted pin is acceptable, and a known variant on this particular type clasp. And although this exact set up isn't shown in Tom's book, it is in other databases. I have no problem with the rust, the fluted pin is steel not tombak, which probably indicates a later production period but nothing worse.

The hinge is cast in, note the slight 'step' at the bottom of the lower hinge post, that's a known characteristic of the large font clasps and is unique to them alone. As I mentioned before, my only slight concern is what the catch looks like, but it may well just be the photo angle that makes it look a bit off to me.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi,

Thanx a lot for your lightening comments as usual, I'll try to get it and will post pictures of the catch after that.

I'll keep you informed.

BR,

Pierre

Hi Ned,

I took a long time but I got it. Here are some closer pictures of the catch. Actually, this catch could turn which looks a bit strange to me.

regards,
    Pierre

Interesting. I've seen a few AGMuK clasps that utilise a round wire catch that has been flattened out in the 'crook' part of the catch, but this one doesn't look the same, it's far thinner in gauge and the width of the flattened part is also narrower.

Personally I'm happy the clasp is original, and looking at the fitting of the catch in the indented crimp, it seems to me that it's been there forever and not replaced. But, I've not seen this exact type before and that raises questions for me as to why it's like this? Could it be that it's a variation that's not readily known, a case of having to make do with what's available at the time to allow production to continue? Who knows? I would be very interested to hear others views on this anomaly, and their thoughts on whether they think it compromises the clasp as a whole.

I'm not prepared to write it off by any means, but it needs other opinions on it, and it would be best if Tom Durante took a look at it. He's the guy who will know best, but he hasn't posted here for sometime so perhaps you should try PM'ing or emailing him to ask him to take a look. I would also recommend seeking Joe's (Kradmelder) thoughts on this, he really knows his stuff about these too.

Regards, Ned.

Thank you for your réflexions, I'll wait for other comments and maybe try to contact Tom Durante if necessary. I like to get awards that have something "special" and it looks this one has... On my other clasp (silver) from the same MM and indeed, the pin, and the catch are very different.

Here are some new pictures if it could help.

regards,
    Pierre

Hi Pierre,

i think also that i have never seen a catch like this before on a "Gablonz" clasp.

Could be a factory made repair?

When it is ok for you i can also ask in a german forum for more opinions about this clasp. There are some very good ccc experts around.

Regards
    Joe

Hi Joe,

Yes of course, it would be great if you can do it. Actually my German is too limited to write on a german forum myself.

best regards,

Pierre

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast