Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Nahkampfspange In Bronze - Steinhauer & Lück of Lüdenscheld

Article about: My S&L close combat clasp arrived today. Overallly, great bronze was left on it. Some dark patina spotting on the bronze for character, and what is in my opinion an even more quality det

Default Nahkampfspange In Bronze - Steinhauer & Lück of Lüdenscheld

My S&L close combat clasp arrived today. Overall, great bronze is left on it, which I'm told isn't particularly common with this maker. Some dark patina spotting on the bronze adds a touch of character, and what is in my opinion an even more quality to the detail on the piece than the FLL I had earlier. Pretty pleased with this one.

I'm also a little concerned about a few spots on it, and want to get your opinions on if I need to do a Vaseline treatment to all or parts of the clasp. I can't tell if these spots are actually zinc pest, some other corrosion or oxidation, chipping, or if the bronze is simply gone on these areas to wear and tear and the base metal is exposed. I'm hoping someone here might have an idea what I'm dealing with in these areas. If it is zinc pest, seems odd that it's all on the edges, corners and high spots and not in the leaves etc.

First, the clasp itself:

Possible pest?: --------------------------------

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nahkampfspange In Bronze - Steinhauer & Lück of Lüdenscheld
    P
    Many

That's a nice clasp Scott!

A 1.16.5 with a lot of finish left, the S&L eagle is the best looking bird on any clasp imo, the fine detail is streets ahead of many other makers. The concerns regarding zinc pest are not too bad from what I can see, it's mainly down to wear/chipping, but it's starting to look a little grainy, so a dab of Vaseline on the grey areas only won't hurt it and help to keep it stabilised.

I told you it was worth spending a few extra dollars, and this shows what you can get compared to the rough FLL you got after the pic's turned out to be, at best, a little "misleading" shall we say.

A fine clasp and a great addition to your collection.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

The reason for having zinc pest/exposed metal on the edges and high parts, are most likely because this is where the clasp has been rubbing against the tunic etc for a long time.

Looks good in my untrained eyes.

?

Very nice!

Thanks guys.

Ned, I really appreciate your help, and Kradmelder's too! You guys have been invaluable in guiding me in covering my bases.

I definitely feel a lot better about this one than the FLL. It was a little more money, but I think worth it, and to my surprise still up to a few hundred cheaper than many dealers despite that! I'll drag out the Vaseline tomorrow and dab these bare metal spots and see if I can't keep it from turning into a pest outbreak down the road.

I'm happy to be joining the ranks of those getting the privilege of being a custodian of one of these distinguished awards. It's sobering when you think about what it meant to the soldier to be wearing one of these. I'd like to think this was at one time pinned to the chest of a brave and honorable Wehrmacht soldier, who was also a good man. At least that's what I'll tell my son when he's older, so he doesn't think everyone serving Germany in those days were bad people. He'll get plenty of narratives about the evils of Nazi Germany to teach that end of it.

I can only agree with the guys. A very nice looking S&L clasp with a very nice bronce finish on it! An keeper for sure. Give the clasp an soft oil, or Vaseline for protecting and good it is.

Regards
    Joe

A fine looking award Scott, a fantastic addition to your collection. Leon.

?

Thumbs up S&L Bronze CCC

Hello,
    It is a great clasp and S&L is my favorite maker for close combat bars. Below is my example (I have the same style of clasp).

Jody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nahkampfspange In Bronze - Steinhauer & Lück of Lüdenscheld   Nahkampfspange In Bronze - Steinhauer & Lück of Lüdenscheld  

A very nice example Scott!
    Congratulations! I agree with the others, a dab of vaseline in a couple of areas will help this one out.
    I do not have one from this maker yet but would like to add one some day.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

well done.