Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Nahkampfspange from "Fredrick Linden Ludenschide"

Article about: Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm already impressed by the number of members here. It looks like the militaria bible here ! My name is Robert and I'm from southern France. For my first po

Default Nahkampfspange from "Fredrick Linden Ludenschide"

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I'm already impressed by the number of members here. It looks like the militaria bible here ! My name is Robert and I'm from southern France.

For my first post, I would like to show you my lastest aquisition. According to the seller, It was a dug find. A Nahkampfspange from "Fredrick Linden Ludenschide".
    I'm not an expert on this type of clasp and I would like to know how I can see if it's the bronze or the silver version (Gold ? Ok, I'm a dreamer).

Thanks !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nahkampfspange from "Fredrick Linden Ludenschide"
    P
    Many

From the faint traces around the hinge and the catch on the reverse side, I'd tend towards thinking it's a Silver version. The pin itself looks to show silver traces also. Nice find! And Welcome to the Forum, by the way!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks Wagriff.
    Hmm, I don't know how to make the difference. Silver ? Bronze ? That is the question. I see also some brown/yellow taint...
    Other question, why the backplate is not black like in most of the other clasps ?

Not all of the backplates you come across were black. Some were blued, some were just base metal, etc. And, keep in mind that being buried for years could well have faded whatever coloration there may have been on the plate in any case. But, as I said before, I'm looking at, for example, the area immediately around the base of the catch. It looks, to my eyes at least, to be distinctly silver in tone.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Nice condition for a ground dug find.

The grade is often difficult to say when the clasp was coming out from the ground.

Regards
    Joe

It's a genuine type 1.14.1 with the soldered on hinge. The colour of the back plate is the same as the day it went into the ground, and is fairly typical of that used on their bronze clasps as the silver ones are often a more blackened finish. Linden clasps are notorious for losing most or all of their finish over the intervening years, but the small traces left on the reverse and the aforementioned back plate would indicate to me it's almost certainly a bronze example.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

That's a very nice Nahkampfspange. I'd love to get my hands on a relic like that.

I agree with you Ned regarding the backplate.
    It´s speaking for a bronze grade for me as well.

Thanks for your answers and the precious informations.