Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Replacing broken pin on an enamel NSDAP party badge

Article about: There is a transitional RZM period party badge I've came across that I can get quite cheaply. Problem is, the pin is broken. The round mounting plate is still present, as well as a small pie

?

The pin on the one you show above is more similar to the late war kriegsmetall badges. I like this one:

Old Pin Badge FDGB Free German Trade Union Confederation Enamel | eBay

Replacing broken pin on an enamel NSDAP party badgeReplacing broken pin on an enamel NSDAP party badge

This East German badge was most likely produced by the same companies and possibly even the same machinery that created the wartime badges, plus the wear on the pin matches the face of your badge a bit better than a 'fresh' one would, in my opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Replacing broken pin on an enamel NSDAP party badge
    P
    Many

I went ahead and placed a bid on that one, I saw it earlier but didn't want to order from overseas. Coming from Hungary so it may take some time to get here but you're right, that pin may match. I have a feeling it will be shorter than the original party badge pins though, comparing the size of that FDGB the penny shows that it's going to be a good bit smaller than a party badge. It's hard to tell though! Only one way to find out, here's to hoping I get it for $1.99

Well I hope the party badge gets here today. I ordered it Monday, dealer said he shipped it priority...should have been here Wednesday. I'm getting annoyed that he's ignored my request for the tracking information three times so far. I like to know what day an item will arrive, because if there are too many packages that won't fit in my tiny apartment mailbox, the carrier will take them back to the post office.

?

Quote by RailwayEagle View Post
    Well I hope the party badge gets here today. I ordered it Monday, dealer said he shipped it priority...should have been here Wednesday. I'm getting annoyed that he's ignored my request for the tracking information three times so far. I like to know what day an item will arrive, because if there are too many packages that won't fit in my tiny apartment mailbox, the carrier will take them back to the post office.
    I've had this happen recently as well. I was strung along for two weeks until I told the seller on a Friday that I would file with Paypal for a refund on Monday. Then, lo and behold, it was in my mailbox on Monday postmarked as having been mailed on Friday. Fancy that.

Quote by Erno View Post
    I've had this happen recently as well. I was strung along for two weeks until I told the seller on a Friday that I would file with Paypal for a refund on Monday. Then, lo and behold, it was in my mailbox on Monday postmarked as having been mailed on Friday. Fancy that.
    They sure are happy to take the money as quickly as possible though. After that...they don't care too much.

Here it is guys, it came in today and I'm pretty excited about it . I've already gone to work removing the broken pin, came off easily with my soldering iron. I have a period replacement pin coming in the mail right now. Very much looking forward to getting the replacement pin put on. I can even use the original pin mount.

Check out the before and after pics. I only used a toothbrush, Dawn dish soap, and water to clean the badge. No power tools, no polishing compound, nothing. The whole badge was covered in some kind of tacky grease. As you can see now that the grime has been washed there is plenty of silvering left. Shame about the dings and scratches on the back, but the enamel is in really good shape. There's a crack on the left side which sticks out in the photos, but in person it's hardly noticeable. I think this is a very nice transitional enamel badge. Taking photos of shiny/reflective surfaces always makes it look worse than it is, but this badge is really a beautiful piece in person. I'm pleased with my $35 purchase.

Before:

After:

Thanks everyone for the help!

Certainly cleaned up beautifully --- lots of silver wash still on there, nice enamel! I'd be interested in seeing the final result, remember to post pics!

The FDGB pin is way too small, it's like a tiny safety pin. Won't look right at all. Haven't yet been able to locate another period pin. This is probably why the dealer never replaced it either.

?

Great restore project and i am very much looking forward to the finished result , shame that the other pin was too small , hope you manage to find a match soon mate. You did a great job in cleaning up the back of it , excellent. It looks as if in some way the old glue helped protect the silver wash over the years. Haven't seen a nice preserved silver backing like that on a party badge before.

Here are a few new photos after I cleaned the rest of the residue off. Again just using a soft cotton cloth and some water. It's hard to capture the beauty of these enamel badges. I would have a lot of them if they weren't so expensive. If it were appropriate...I would wear it on my necktie because its such an attractive piece of jewelry...but alas it would be inappropriate Ill be very happy to at last locate a replacement pin

Thought this was interesting, enamel spilled over letters O A and L:

Thanks again for the help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast