Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

NSDAP Arm band

Article about: Hi Gents, I am not sure about the originality of this arm band I have. Its cotton in good condition but curiously it has extra lining stitched on the inside. For what purpose, - comfort? or

Default NSDAP Arm band

Hi Gents, I am not sure about the originality of this arm band I have. Its cotton in good condition but curiously it has extra lining stitched on the inside. For what purpose, - comfort? or to conceal the (fake) stitching? I believe you should only see the stitching from the roundel. any thoughts, thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSDAP Arm band   NSDAP Arm band  

NSDAP Arm band   NSDAP Arm band  

NSDAP Arm band   NSDAP Arm band  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP Arm band
    P
    Many

Hello I have a couple points of concern. The red cotton material doesn't look like the typical tighter weave seen on period original examples, if you look at the reverse photo of your armband you can see what looks like vertical stripes not typical of period pieces. Also the center roundel seems almost too circular, as Bob often pointed out it should be slightly oval; compare to the pictures of a good one from a previous thread. Lastly concerning the padding it certainly doesn't conform to rzm construction standards with the additional layer of material on the reverse, and yes only the stitching from the roundel being attached to the band should be seen. That doesn't mean these items could not of been modified in period. I remember seeing an example on here with a padded roundel that gave the armband a three dimensional appearance but I cannot remember what the determination was on it's originality. Bottom line is I cannot definitvely say it s bad based solely on my observations. However with what is a fairly common item I wouldn't be comfortable saying it's original either, why not just buy another armband rather than modify the he one you own for whatever reason, doesn't make sense? I would want a more traditional piece without questions about it s authenticity. Perhaps others can provide more insight. Best regards.

Brian

NSDAP Arm bandNSDAP Arm band

Your pictures are really great BTW far better than the comparison photos, but I hope it illustrates my observation about the fabric weave?

NSDAP Arm bandNSDAP Arm band

And now that I look at it the white cotton material in the roundel is also of a different weave.

Thanks Brian, appreciate your concerns - was not 100% sure with this one myself, although it was more the logic of why the extra lining. (Don't know much about embroided items) Anymore opinions? before I sort the dealer out who sold this to me.