Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

NSDAP kampfbinde, authentic?

Article about: I found this armband at a local shop. Does this look legit to you guys? As you can see in the photos there is a crease in part of the white patch/swastika so I stretched it out in one of the

RMD
    ?

Oh, one more thing.. If you look at my thread / Nice example of three piece wool armband / I have my wool placed next to my cotton. If you blow up the picture, you can see the difference in texture.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP kampfbinde, authentic?
    P
    Many

I was able to zoom in on the stitch pattern on the back of the roundel on some of the pics. Will post more tomorrow

Here's some more of the photos I got today. I used my cotton armband for comparison in a couple photos. (in the photos w/ 2 armbands the armband labeled "1" is the new armband in question, the armband labelled "2" is the authenticated cotton armband). There is definitely a different texture between the cotton armband & the armband in question both in look & feel.

NSDAP kampfbinde, authentic?NSDAP kampfbinde, authentic?

With the pictures, I am not liking the stitching or the material used. The fabric does not look like it’s cotton or wool. The other thing that was bothering we was how dirty the white is and rest, even the red is very clean. Another thing that started bugging me was, IF I( a soldier)moved this from a coat there would be a high probability that I would remove the Reminence of black thread.
    Have you put the armband under a black light?
    Waited for others. The pictures are great.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    With the pictures, I am not liking the stitching or the material used. The fabric does not look like it’s cotton or wool. The other thing that was bothering we was how dirty the white is and rest, even the red is very clean. Another thing that started bugging me was, IF I( a soldier)moved this from a coat there would be a high probability that I would remove the Reminence of black thread.
    Have you put the armband under a black light?
    Waited for others. The pictures are great.
    I have heard about using a black light because of the additives to the modern fabric in repro's. I do not own a black light but I would be willing to purchase one to test the authenticity of this armband. Any particular black light I should use? Also, when using the black light what should I look for?

Also, in regards to the dirtiness of armband, most of the outside appears dirty in person. The camera doesn't pick it up but in person you can see it. Maybe it's just discoloration but I can pick up on some differences.

This armband is at the same dealer's shop as the cotton armband that everyone agreed was original in a previous thread. The dealer has a good reputation and an extensive TR collection but of course that doesn't mean he knows armbands as well as folks on these forum. His collection of armbands is small and it's obvious he doesn't focus his collection on them. My general feeling is that if this armband in question is a repro, the dealer doesn't realise it. He is actually the one who told about using black-lights to test the authenticity of armbands.

RMD
    ?

Hey there, Captain..

Amazing job with the photos. And, beautiful cotton you have there These pictures will help others in the future with identification as well.

.. I'm just completely stumped. If it's cotton, then why the roundel that is found on a wool band? And if it's wool, it's unlike anything that I have seen. / Have went over every scenario in my head. ~ The wool is old, rubbed and worn away, but, why then is the Swaz unaffected? Or, because the inside of a wool armband is different from the outside, maybe the Swaz was accidently sewn to the wrong side? Maybe (and this idea could actually be true) this armband has been washed many times, changing the wools texture? Maybe this was a secret armband used by the Haunebu pilots? Just kidding on that last one. A reference to Nazi UFO's.

In the end, just to many questions.

If I was a dealer, I would NOT feel comfortable selling this armband. Not to say that your dealer ripped you off. Maybe he is also in the dark?

Sorry to say, I would not be happy with this armband. But, I say this all the time with bands that end up being real. Some early pre RZM bands always make me weary, but then a few pro's look at it and say, it's good.

/ Blacklights / Not a 100% but they are a useful tool. If you plan on collecting a lot of cloth, armbands, then I would get one. Walmart has them cheep, or some dealers also sell em' Avoid the light bulb type, go for the long thin bulb.

Take care Captain. Wish I could be of more help on this one.

...... One last note. We all have to be careful, because while most reproductions are crap, there is the exception. Below is a fake armband that I want to buy, to use as comparison. It is very well made, and even has an RZM tag! This is the only photo available.. Dealers description below.

>>>>>>> TS-001 SA OFFICERS 3.PC constructed Armband, This is a must for any enthusiasts collection desiring the absolute best in high ranking early style armbands. Beautiful Red Wool base, with folded and sewn black tape Swastika on White circle, exquisite! no detail has been overlooked

?

My experience is limited on these but the red armband body appears to be a synthetic material. Maybe it's just the way the light shines on it. The rest of it appears correct. Hopefully someone else can give you a definitive answer.

regards, Al

Nothing wrong with this armband. Roundel could be restitched, but nothing unusual. I have seen this done before from the period. Inside the stitching inside looks to be paper, which was used often inside stitching with locally made armbands, possibly as extra strength of the stitching?

Armband is definitely wool, and black threads on the edges show that this band was definitely worn. Nice piece.

Quote by all1knew View Post
    Nothing wrong with this armband. Roundel could be restitched, but nothing unusual. I have seen this done before from the period. Inside the stitching inside looks to be paper, which was used often inside stitching with locally made armbands, possibly as extra strength of the stitching?

Armband is definitely wool, and black threads on the edges show that this band was definitely worn. Nice piece.
    Excellent, thank you very much for taking a look & evaluating this piece!

Quote by all1knew View Post

I finally got a black light & I put that armband to the test next to a white ceremonial glove I use at lodge. Seems like it passed that test as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2