Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DAF Prototype Buckle with Tag and Wax Seal for review...

Article about: Hi all. I've actually had this in my collection for quite a while, thought it was time to post it here for some feedback. I don't really collect prototypes, this just happened to be in a col

?

Default Re: DAF Prototype Buckle with Tag and Wax Seal for review...

Thanks for the reply Kirby! I really appreciate your thoughts. I generally don't resell the items I collect but at those prices it may be hard to keep this one on the shelf The difficult part is finding that "magic number" that makes me comfortable selling. As collectors we're passionate about the items we buy, and generally don't do it for the money. But I could probably buy a few more nice items for my collection with the money I'd make with this... decisions, decisions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAF Prototype Buckle with Tag and Wax Seal for review...
    P
    Many

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback Ben I really appreciate it. Question for you... what about this buckle do you think is a prototype; is it a prototype for the clasp catch design or the entire buckle design?
    As Kirby has already commented it is the catch the buckle itself if a nice mint DAF buckle, the catch is an unknown that's why I called it a prototype or experimental a one off it was not used or issued is what makes it a rare beast like this this Luftwaffe buckle here, not a great buckle by all means but with the catch I have only ever seen one other. Hope this makes sense
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAF Prototype Buckle with Tag and Wax Seal for review...   DAF Prototype Buckle with Tag and Wax Seal for review...  

DAF Prototype Buckle with Tag and Wax Seal for review...   DAF Prototype Buckle with Tag and Wax Seal for review...  

Ben

Mate, there is nothing wrong with Gail! :P

That is a first class buckle all the way! I love everything about it! What a beauty!!!
    Rob

?

Thanks Ben, makes perfect sense! Rob, thanks for the kind words.

It's amazing how something as simple as a belt buckle can be such a sexual experience for someone like Ben That is true collector passion!

Have you seem my wife!!!!!!!
    Ben

Sorry chaps and sorry dzyner, however and in my opinion, a silly, fantasy and smoke and mirrors buckle which has been cobbled together and in order to deceive.

It should be remembered that the DAF Werkschar was probably one of the most heavily regulated of the RZM controlled buckles.

Here we go:-

Good obverse to the buckle, however what on earth is that crude, clumsy and handmade catch inset? Prototype? Why?
    Why do we have a rather splendid leather tongue which is quite unheard of toward the DAF Werkschar?
    Why the strangulated piece of string attaching to a strange and conveniently unintelligible label?
    Why do we have such a theatrical wax seal?

Sorry. Again and in my opinion, a silly, fantasy and smoke and mirrors buckle which is intended to deceive. Interesting though.

Regards,

David

?

It would be interesting to see, how they have fixed the additional catch plate to the box.

May I ask for some images wich show the plate and the reverse of the buckle from different angles?

TIA!

Best,
    Guido

No further comment, BUT:
    Why a leather tongue???, but above all why in BROWN??? when from the start the Werkschar did wear a BLACK leather belt.
    Order 32/35 from August 8, 1935 (published in Nr. 29 from the "Amtliches Nachrichtenblatt der DAF", August 24, 1935 ) noted Dr. Ley
    had agreed the uniform for the:
    Werkscharen der Deutsche Arbeitsfront.
    Amongst them was a black leather belt with the so-called Arbeitsfrontschloss. Not in the order mentioned items were not allowed to be
    used or worn (for example a field-cap, which came later).

About a month before that, on July 6, 1935 it was noted in the "Mitteilungsblatt der Reichszeugmeisterei" (Nr. 20, page 204): the expected uniform
    for the Werkscharen will not be introduced yet. Offers made are not valid!!
    After the publication in the "Amtliches Nachrichtenblatt der DAF", mentioned above, a new annouuncement was made August 31, 1935 (Nr. 24, page
    241) in the "Mitteilungsblatt der RZM": In accordance with Hitler's deputy it is announced the uniform for the Werkscharen is valid and includes a
    black leather belt with Arbeitsfrontschloss. Items fall under the controll for the RZM and shoud be marked like that! Drawings and descriptions for the
    uniform were published simultaneously on pages 242 and 246 (the black belt). A drawing from the buckle appeared in issue 25 from September 14, 1935
    (page 259).

Why making a new prototype with a brown tab, to a buckle which not ever should have a tab sewn on, on January 20, 1936 when it was longtime known the
    Werkschar did wear black???
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 01-28-2013 at 03:51 PM.

?

David, I appreciate your opinion about my buckle and will do my best to address your observations below...

Have you ever seen a protoype of anything before? Even a modern prototype? They are almost never made to the same quality and standards expected of the final product. In fact, many are made by hand, which easily explains the crude nature of this buckle's catch. I have a friend who is in the toy business. I've seen some of the prototypes they've made of some of the most well-known toys in the industry (if you have kids you'd recognize some of the toys his company produces). They're extremely crude, with hand applied stickers created using colored markers I wouldn't expect this buckle, which was produced in the 40's, to be perfect in appearance.

Regarding the leather tongue (and this is for Wilhelm as well), again... it's a prototype, not a final product. Nobody wore, or was intended to wear, this buckle so it didn't need to comply with the quality standards set forth for proper uniform dress! If this piece were the finished product, I might agree with Wilhelm, but it's not - it is merely a prototype with the proper Overhoff & Cie stamp applied to a leather tab they had in stock at the time the prototype was made. Or perhaps they used brown on ALL of their prototypes, regardless of branch, for consistency sake? Who are we to say why they used brown on this or any other prototype?

As for your other comments, I think those (as well as the above) can be addressed with this scan of a page from Angolia's book, "Belt buckles & brocades of the Third Reich (revised edition)", courtesy of another knowledgeable forum member. Note that even in this black and white photo you can see how crudely the catch was applied, as well as the faded hand-written words on the label. Also note the "twine" attaching the label to the buckle. Also, having a background in black and white photography, I'd say that the buckle shown in this page scan is definitely NOT black, but very likely brown as well.

Guido, here are the photos you requested. Let me know if you need to see additional shots...

Thanks!
    Dzyner

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast