Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Helmet & Belt/Buckle

Article about: Thanks to all for your kind words and helpful information. I thought I saw on another thread that the R1410 stamping may have been an identifier for the batch of steel sent to the manufactur

?

Default German Helmet & Belt/Buckle

Good day to you all-

Last night my wife's grandfather brought me a German helmet & belt for a Christmas present. He grew up in a small town in Wisconsin, and when he was 8-10 years old (sometime in the early 1940's), his neighbor gave him these items. He assumes his neighbor was in WWI, but doesn't really know for sure if his neighbor actually brought them back or not. At one time there was a gas mask as well, but I think it has been lost in the passage of time. As you can see from the pictures, most of the leather helmet liner is gone and there is no chin strap. I've been looking around on the different threads for any information that I can find about helmets and/or belts & buckles. I've tried to take pictures of the identifying marks, but if you need better pictures or taken in different areas, I'd be happy to post more- I realize a better backdrop might have been more clear! Any information about these items would be helpful. Thank you for help!

Clyde
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Helmet & Belt/Buckle   German Helmet & Belt/Buckle  

German Helmet & Belt/Buckle   German Helmet & Belt/Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Helmet & Belt/Buckle
    P
    Many

Nice presents !
    both are genuine original

WW1 german helmet

and a Imperial Prussian NCO/EM German WWI belt buckle.

?

Thanks, Australia! I definitely wasn't expecting it! My father-in-law had told me about the helmet, but didn't know if it was still around or had been thrown away. I was just hoping to see it sometime, never expected to be given them!

Prussian belt and buckle and the Helmet is an M16 or M17, i keep forgetting how to tell them apart!...

M16 this one Gunny, M17 was the same shell with chinstrap lugs, but a steel liner band rather than leather

Nothing quite like a real and old German helmet, great piece!

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    M16 this one Gunny, M17 was the same shell with chinstrap lugs, but a steel liner band rather than leather
    Cheers mate!...

Here is a good link to Ken N's site for learning more about your helmet, just scroll halfway down to the WW1 helmet faq's, you have a nice M16, enjoy your new helmet!!!!!! click the faq below
    faq

Couple of nice good original WW1 German items there M-16 helmet and Prussian early brass buckle with belt as stated. timothy

Clyde,

You have some nice stuff there. The Helmet looks to be a size 66 and made by either Eisenhuettenwerk Thale or Eisenhuettenwerk Silesia as the marking in the skirt near the chinstrap lug appears to say E66. That's a very large size.

The other mark could be to a Regiment, but not sure. The R is stylized as seen on a lot of Reserve Regiment equipment although there was no Regiment 1410?

The Belt and buckle were not together originally when issued--The belt is marked to a Saxon Regiment (103R) and marked to the 12th Korps Clothing Depot (XIIB) . That belt looks likes its in great shape.

As issued it would have a Saxon buckle with the motto-PROVIDENTIAE MEMOR in place of Gott Mitt Uns.

Hope this helps
    Joe Sweney

When the Prussian buckle was matched to belt could have been at anytime including during the war.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast