Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NSBO buckle

Article about: Here is a new buckle that I received today, an NSBO. Forum member David North has told me that these buckles were found as part of a hoard in the Netherlands. I have a theory as to the maker

?

Default NSBO buckle

Here is a new buckle that I received today, an NSBO. Forum member David North has told me that these buckles were found as part of a hoard in the Netherlands. I have a theory as to the maker as well, but I want to do more research to see if it holds water.

NSBO buckle
    NSBO buckle
    NSBO buckle
    NSBO buckle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSBO buckle
    P
    Many

Very nice buckle and a cool variant , i own this one!.....
    NSBO buckle

lovely buckle Erno,but I don't think it will hold water as its open at the ends.----lol.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Very nice buckle and a cool variant , i own this one!.....
    Thanks, Gunny! That's a very nice Overhoff you've got there.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    lovely buckle Erno,but I don't think it will hold water as its open at the ends.----lol.
    Thanks Harry! I wouldn't use it for water unless it were SS (stainless steel).

Sorry, but I have never heard of the story of a hoard of NSBO-buckles from the Netherlands.
    Not in forty years and I frequently visited militaria shows in my country! Just nonsense....

You hardly ever saw and still see no NSBO buckles in my country at militaria shows (other then fakes).
    Not even the Dutch dealer(s) that often visited the Overhoff concern did offer them, as I would have
    been offered such buckle surely and without any doubt. Those dealers did know I was a "buckle-fan".

?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Sorry, but I have never heard of the story of a hoard of NSBO-buckles from the Netherlands.
    Not in forty years and I frequently visited militaria shows in my country! Just nonsense....

You hardly ever saw and still see no NSBO buckles in my country at militaria shows (other then fakes).
    Not even the Dutch dealer(s) that often visited the Overhoff concern did offer them, as I would have
    been offered such buckle surely and without any doubt.
    Well, the story of the Dutch hoard is really just a collector's anecdote and not a fact, so I won't say with certainty that it's true. I've read the same story from two different collectors, but neither are Dutch, so it apparently does not come from first hand experience. I've seen a few in very nice condition, and I don't think they're fake, so it seems likely that they were uncovered somewhere.

I have an unsubstantiated theory that these (or at least the roundels) were produced by Berg und Nolte.

Your words Erno: David North has told me that these buckles were found as part of a hoard in the Netherlands.

Now you say "story". I can guarantee you it is not true. Stories are made up for 40 or more years. The two different
    collectors may have heard rumours. I am Dutch and believe me I would have know about it.

I have not said the shown buckle from post 1 was a fake. The fake buckles sold in my country all have another roundel.

?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Your words Erno: David North has told me that these buckles were found as part of a hoard in the Netherlands.

Now you say "story". I can guarantee you it is not true. Stories are made up for 40 or more years. The two different
    collectors may have heard rumours. I am Dutch and believe me I would have know about it.

I have not said the shown buckle from post 1 was a fake. The fake buckles sold in my country all have another roundel.
    As I said earlier, I'm not arguing for the story, because I don't have any evidence of it. Lots of the 'hoard' type stories are wrong or sometimes completely made up. Maybe the buckles came to market in Belgium or Germany or somewhere else. The Netherlands story is, as you say, a story and not really relevant to the buckle(s) anyway.

Some believe that the buckle I show above is a fake, but like you said, it doesn't match the common fake roundels.

Here is another one with a different catch:

NSBO buckle
    NSBO buckle

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=617789

This type of catch is often seen on Berg und Nolte buckles (as Markus points out), and in my opinion, the roundels are a good match.

Dear Erno

Wonderful buckles that you have shown and I will add some others with hopefully appropriate comments later.

Perhaps I may respond in connection with the "story" behind the buckle, although really, this is quite incidental and obviously distracts from the core subject matter.

Only a few years ago, a reasonably high number of these buckles appeared on the market for sale. All the buckles were the same NSBO design and construction, being non issued and with some, still wrapped in the original manufacturers tissue paper. The person selling the buckles was either a Dutch national or a person living in the Netherlands. No more and no less and does it really matter one has to ask. No suggestion whatsoever that the buckles were found in the Netherlands and no inflated stories of a rare Dutch hoard or other "smoke and mirrors" nonsense. Quite simply and quite recently, a person based in Holland selling these buckles with no other silliness of description or provenance to dignify what is quite simply, an honest NSBO buckle.

The roundel is quite distinct as is the method of construction and there are some advanced collectors who probably out of convenience (or laziness), have attached to the buckle the sobriquet of the the "Dutch Hoard" NSBO buckle.

A name tag and again, no more and no less.

Regards,

David

Nice looking buckle..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast