Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

NSBO buckle

Article about: Here is a new buckle that I received today, an NSBO. Forum member David North has told me that these buckles were found as part of a hoard in the Netherlands. I have a theory as to the maker

Dont know anything about a Dutch connection so cannot really comment. Nice buckle though and as to maker the only think that looks familiar to me is the prongs which look like Berge & Nolte prongs but that dies not mean they made the buckle (the prongs also have traits of early Overhoff)
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSBO buckle
    P
    Many

?

Quote by David North View Post
    Dear Erno

Wonderful buckles that you have shown and I will add some others with hopefully appropriate comments later.

Perhaps I may respond in connection with the "story" behind the buckle, although really, this is quite incidental and obviously distracts from the core subject matter.

Only a few years ago, a reasonably high number of these buckles appeared on the market for sale. All the buckles were the same NSBO design and construction, being non issued and with some, still wrapped in the original manufacturers tissue paper. The person selling the buckles was either a Dutch national or a person living in the Netherlands. No more and no less and does it really matter one has to ask. No suggestion whatsoever that the buckles were found in the Netherlands and no inflated stories of a rare Dutch hoard or other "smoke and mirrors" nonsense. Quite simply and quite recently, a person based in Holland selling these buckles with no other silliness of description or provenance to dignify what is quite simply, an honest NSBO buckle.

The roundel is quite distinct as is the method of construction and there are some advanced collectors who probably out of convenience (or laziness), have attached to the buckle the sobriquet of the the "Dutch Hoard" NSBO buckle.

A name tag and again, no more and no less.

Regards,

David
    David, thank you for the response! Like I said above, the 'Dutch hoard' story really isn't relevant to the buckle itself, true or not. For all we know, it was found in Germany, Belgium or anywhere else and sold by a dutch dealer. It is a convenient name, though, which satisfies the desire for collectors to label everything.

Quote by wizardman View Post
    Nice looking buckle..
    Thank you! I hope all is well in your hemisphere.

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Dont know anything about a Dutch connection so cannot really comment. Nice buckle though and as to maker the only think that looks familiar to me is the prongs which look like Berge & Nolte prongs but that dies not mean they made the buckle (the prongs also have traits of early Overhoff)
    Thanks, Ben! I wouldn't say that B&N for sure made the buckle, but I'm almost positive that whoever made the roundel for the B&N buckle from WAF also made the roundel for mine and the other 'Dutch hoard' buckles. Of course, it could have been Berg & Nolte or anyone else. The prongs do look like Overhoff/Assmann prongs (they even have the characteristic crimp marks upon close inspection), but that probably doesn't mean anything either. It'd be interesting to see if anyone else has any NSBO buckles with the same roundel on other boxes.

?

Good looking buckle. I will have to look for one of these. I have this one with a different border.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSBO buckle  
    Last edited by kirby; 09-03-2014 at 11:06 PM.

?

Thanks, Kirby! Your buckle is a fine example as well. Like the SA buckle, there is a huge amount of variety in NSBO buckles.

Here is an NSBO buckle that I hold, albeit with a slight "defect", which by overall configuration is the same as the one which started this really quite interesting thread.

I have taken a squint through my catalogued NSBO buckles and this one and especially by the core design and to include the very distinct narrow outer border, is I think unique within the genre.

My apologies that I cannot make a guess as to who the maker was.

Regards,

David

Reverse

Is your buckle made by Overhoff David? Looks like it from the prongs and ears
    Ben

Honestly Ben, I have no idea and my apologies for being so "knuckle dragging". Regards, David

?

Thanks for the photos, David! That's a nice looking one.

It seems unlikely to me that it'd be an Overhoff buckle, since it's so different from the known Overhoff ones. Maybe Overhoff made the box and somebody else made the roundel.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Thanks for the photos, David! That's a nice looking one.

It seems unlikely to me that it'd be an Overhoff buckle, since it's so different from the known Overhoff ones. Maybe Overhoff made the box and somebody else made the roundel.
    Compare the prongs and ears to a early nickel Overhoff SS buckle
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast