Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A Rare one

Article about: The postman brought me two new buckles today. The first is a rare Werkschar variant produced by Dr. Frank & Co. This one is aluminum with the logo. Tomorrow I will post the rarest buckle

Default Re: A Rare one

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Rare one
    P
    Many

Sorry David, I expressed myself wrongly. I meant the regular DAF buckle was manufactured by quite some manufacturers, showing some minor variations. For example different cogwheel-forms.

As far as I could find out: Dr. Franke did not include it in their 1939/1940 cataloque, but only double-claws;
    Steinhauer & Lück offered the regular version with soldered catch (art.nr. 10660);
    F.W. Assmann also from light-weight metals with the crank catch (art.nr. 23774) in the 1939 addendum;
    Fr. Linden in bright light-weight metal, offered in a leaflet (no date, art. nr. 5441). With the same number the buckle was later in their May 1939 cataloque;
    Wilhelm Deumer light-weight matt (art.nr. 40010);
    Overhoff with a leaflet from about 1938, as far as I can see with different cogs;
    Wilhelm Schröder about 1937, regular version with art. nr. 7038 in whitish light-weight metal, but also the golden version. the double-claw was the most often offered product;
    Paul Cramer in about 1938 the regular version as art. nr. 33/45.
    In other catalogues as for example Gloerfeld, the buckle was not mentioned at all. I have no information Berg & Nolte did make this one also.

The pebbled version must have been produced in the early stage of the uniform-development, so about early summer 1935, as it is not shown in any of the later cataloques. Often concerns were quite quick with buckle-producing when hearing about uniform-development and may not have waited for the final to grant version. It is practically sure the pebbled version was one of such plans, but must have been rejected by Hauptamtsleiter Gohdes, the leader from the "Abteilung Werkschar".. In the earliest stage no insignia was allowed to be worn at all with the uniform.

Anyway up till the start of the war the buckle was made from light-weight metals. The buckle is perfectly faked, often being from other materials!

I would like to inform about the 1939 development, taken from the "Amtliches
    Nachrichtenblatt der Dt. Arbeitsfront
    ":

With order 19/39 from about April Reichsleiter dr. Ley ordered the transferring of
    the concerns into the system on NSDAP local level and so the Werkscharen
    would be assigned to that (Einbau der Betriebe in den Hoheitsbereich der
    Ortsgruppe der NSDAP). Further it was noted that the worn Werkschar-
    uniform was allowed to be worn, but new uniforms were not to be purchased at all.
    All kinds of announcements about that were made. Quite important is order
    25/39 from July. Here it was noted that NSDAP collar patches were to be worn
    and the former blue uniform was allowed to be worn for the time being (aufzutragen). Who had to wear what is quite difficult to explain, but DAF and Werkschar- leaders normally should wear the pol.leaders uniform when the rank was officially granted. If this plan ever was carried out fully is doubtfull, due to the start of the war. Most wartime photographs do show still the wearing of the dark-blue uniform with Werkschar-buckle.

Dear Wilhelm

As you have said "...often concerns were quite quick with buckle-producing when hearing about uniform-development and may not have waited for the final to grant version...". I was not aware of this! Remarkable.

Ignoring what I previously suggested, what you have instead suggested now makes perfect sense. It also makes myself more comfortable when correlating the design of the buckle to the membership pin that I posted. A bad guess and wrong assumption by at least two manufacturers! Thankyou for this clever insight.

Regards,

David

Hello David,

In the "Mitteilungsblatt der RZM"" from June 9, 1934 this DAF-symbol was included amongst the most important, authorized insignia from the NSDAP-organization. It has the checkered inner of the swastika.
    Maybe buckle-manufacturers may have thought that the cogwheel should have this with the Werkschar-buckle and took it over? But for what reason the pebbling was included, I don't have a clue here!

A Rare one

I found in my old files the shown Werkschar-variation buckle with checkered swastika from
    the mid-seventies from the mentioned US-collector, who came from Michigan.
    The manufacturers marking was from Dr. Franke. The quality of the buckle was good, but
    the nickled prong was quite rusted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3