Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another Zeltbahn jacket?

Article about: Hi guys, I found a jacket last month that was made out of Zeltbahn, and today I went back to the place that I found the first one, and found a similar piece in a part of the store that I did

?

Default Another Zeltbahn jacket?

Hi guys,
    I found a jacket last month that was made out of Zeltbahn, and today I went back to the place that I found the first one, and found a similar piece in a part of the store that I didn't check last time. I couldn't really take good pictures as they don't let you take pics in the store, can anyone say anything about this jumpsuit from these pics? Once again, it's not very expensive, and I almost just jumped on it, but I wasn't sure whether it's even a kind of zeltbahn that existed during ww2.
    Thanks for the help,
    Eddie

Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Zeltbahn jacket?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Another Zeltbahn jacket?

can't really see enough off it but if the price is right and its cheaper than a repro i would get it

tom

?

Good point, it is cheaper than a repro I believe. Does the HBT fabric in the repair picture look ok? Ade brought up the point with the last jacket that these may be old reenactor jackets, so I wonder if that dark green HBT material that was used to patch the suit is period and legit, because it's on the inside of the suit. If I had made a jumpsuit out of a zeltbahn and had to make a repair that no one would see I wouldn't probably use period material for such a small hole, so I wonder if it's HBT that is german style and not USMC HBT.

to be honest the repair looks post war done as the stiching is different to what you would expect but still if its cheaper than a repro you have alwasy made a profit
    (odd they use white thread for everywhere but the hole)
    tom

This is made from Italian material. The HBT material is not German. I am 99.9% certain these are an ex re-enactor's kit.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade is correct - the camo pattern is Italian.

The repair looks to me how an Army Surplus store might make a simple patch.
    There would be lots of extra material such as this lying around, from cutting
    long trousers ( with large tears or holes in the knees ) into shorts, etc.

Just a thought...........

Still cheaper than new repro/re-enactor clothing, and so a good buy.
    I would not have passed them up !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Oh darn, well, that's a bit disappointing. Is this camo WW2 Italian?

Walkwolf: great point, I think I may ask the shop if they repaired it themselves, as they have lots of surplus US stuff, and it's a possibility that these repairs with the HBT were done by the shop after they got the piece. Worth asking anyway.
    Side note, they also have what I think is a Czech cloud camo reversible jacket(marked simply "european camo jacket") that is part of the display and therefore not for sale...
    Last edited by Eddie; 09-13-2011 at 06:27 AM.

?

I went back today and asked about the repairs, and found similar repairs on other camo pieces. But, really, who knows, I guess I feel like "Occams razor" you know? So, as Ade says, it's probably a re-enactors kit, rather than a period field made piece. I'm really glad to be able to draw upon so many years of experience, and I would have believed that these were real(they are pretty convincing!) if I hadn't been able to tap the great resource that is this forum!
    Thanks again Fellas,
    Eddie

Here's some a shot of the jumpsuit, and pictures of similar repairs on other camo garments:

Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?

[QUOTE=doomtown;359415]Oh darn, well, that's a bit disappointing.
    Is this camo WW2 Italian?QUOTE]

The camo is a WWII Italian pattern, but the jacket is likely a German
    type or style. They did wear this pattern for a time...............
    Regards,

Steve.

?

So, I bought the jumpsuit... I put it next to my other zeltbahn jacket. Here's some pics. I asked about the repairs and got it confirmed by the shop that the repairs with the HBT fabric were done by the shop. These things are a total matter of faith though as there's zero provenance and it's really hard to tell with field made items even in the best of conditions. I hope you guys enjoy the pics anyway.
    Best,
    Eddie

Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?Another Zeltbahn jacket?