Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any Ideas on this one? Heer Camo Tunic

Article about: Howdy folks. I am considering purchasing this tunic for my collection. The fellow guarantees it to be original with a three day insepection period. Are any of you folks familiar with the cam

?

Default Any Ideas on this one? Heer Camo Tunic

Howdy folks.
    I am considering purchasing this tunic for my collection. The fellow guarantees it to be original with a three day insepection period. Are any of you folks familiar with the camo tunics? Does this one appear to be good? Any thing special I should look for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any Ideas on this one?  Heer Camo Tunic   Any Ideas on this one?  Heer Camo Tunic  

Any Ideas on this one?  Heer Camo Tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any Ideas on this one?  Heer Camo Tunic
    P
    Many

Default Re: Any Ideas on this one? Heer Camo Tunic

Hello bmoore,
    welcome to the forum...
    These camo tunics were not factory made, but rather field tailored and privately purchased, so there was no regulation, no pattern to follow...it's pretty rough to say if it's period made or not. There are of course a few things to look for on the garment, how it is made, sewn, nature of the thread, reinforced or not at pressure points, buttonholes, artificial ageeing or not, the general wear, the wear of the thread....etc....you should ask for more detailed pics and post them here....
    thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thanks for the response. Here are a few more detailed pics:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any Ideas on this one?  Heer Camo Tunic   Any Ideas on this one?  Heer Camo Tunic  

Attached Images Attached Images Any Ideas on this one?  Heer Camo Tunic 

There are some nice features like the field dressing pocket or the tabs for the belt hooks....the question is : was it made during the war for a german soldier/NCO/officer...or was it made 2 years, 5 years or 20 years ago to deceive collectors...For sure it wasn't made postwar for fishing/hunting...you'll be always wondering...for this kind of item, unless you got it from a vet who can provide a period pic.....a matter of believe...

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Would the shoulder tabs be made of the same camo-type material? That looks a little sketchy or perhaps I am just being paranoid.

pjm
    ?

It's very odd to see M36/40 style tunic with pleated pockets and complete lining as a camo uniform.

To my knowledge there were no such uniforms factory produced. Camo clothing was made in the field but without the fine detailing as this jacket has. Unless this is an unissued experimental uniform (it looks very fresh and unworn) with some sort of provenance or photos, I'd think it was something made relatively recently.

I used to find field made uniform items at fleamarkets in Germany - most jackets were more smock like but some, made from standard (not camo) lightweight Russian material turned up as well. The latter were the 4 pocket cut.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

There have been some good valid points made about this uniform and field made items in general.

Personally, I would not buy it. The shoulder straps I don't like at all. I think the whole thing is a modern construction.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I would say my opinion.
    Usually the tailoring fantasies was is the heads of higher NCO's, they order the tunics in local tailors or just pay to the soldier who can work with sawing mashine during a free of battles time. Most of the originals is absolutely ugly, non standard and not professiaonally done. Probably someone has broken drillich tunic to get the liner in the war time period, but I don't think so, due of liner in this jacket are absolutely wrong for drillich- but similar by shape. It's not a field work for sure. And to cheap for tailor work. And the tunic looks was done and newer used after... Too fresh inside. I will newer look for the item like that...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

How accurate are blacklight and match tests?
    If a piece of thread is lit with a match and burns well I read that that was a good test for authenticity as there were no fire resistant fabrics then....

Hi, the blacklight and burn tests are useful, but it your case of perhaps very limited value. The jacket appears to be made from original Zeltbahn material. Pure cotton thread is available at any store selling sewing supplies.

I honestly would not buy this tunic.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast