Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Army Hauptmann's Tunic, Knight's Cross recipient?

Article about: Buying it was the easy part...Now you have to start dressing it back up with a few little things....like a Honour Clasp and a Ritter....you know, a couple small baubles...

Smile

Moved down, no as there would be no reason to, but it could've broken off, such things accured often, leaving the mark and causing it to be redone in the position it's currently in. I am not say this is undoubtably his tunic, FYI, just that there is a possibility considering all of the said reasons.

Add: As for evidence, although it is hard to shown in a image, it is easy to see in person. If you look closey, you can see a dark spot with two dots within in, atleast I can. Clearly a loop once was there.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 09-21-2013 at 04:07 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Army Hauptmann's Tunic, Knight's Cross recipient?
    P
    Many

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Really? What is at the ends then?
    Attachment 571517
    Do you own this example?
    YES. There is a hook and clasp, and they would have nothing to do with the "hooks" that are installed on your tunic. I am not saying your tunic did not have a ribbon on it, but not one like mine. What I am saying is that you could "bypass" your hooks and use a ribbon like mine. If you use a full-length ribbon and not one with ties it will not sit under the collar correctly and create a bulge. If you use a ribbon with ties, the tunic will display properly as the ties could go above or below your hooks. Finding an authentic ribbon with button holes or two loops that would align with your hooks would be nearly impossible.

William Kramer

Looks to me to be medal hooks, and I'd say that proves the hooks on the back of the collar were intended for a Knights Cross.
    or any other neck award. I agree that the metal hooks would indicate recipient of a neck order, and you could display it with any really, including foreign awards (where all did the 15th and 106th visit?)

if Gollas didn't reach the rank of Captain, these individuals within the 106th did and were RKT:

Proll, Herbert 09.06.1944 Hauptmann Kdr I./Gren.Rgt 106
    Schindler, Walther 04.05.1944 Hauptmann d.R. Kdr III./Gren.Rgt 106
    Stellwagen, Friedrich 17.03.1945 Hauptmann Kdr II./Gren.Rgt 106

William Kramer

Indeed, I see the clasp now. It is positioned in a way that it is not easily seen. Technology, however, both ends could be used to connect to the hooks on the back of the collar.
    And yes, the tunic could've been owned by one of the names above. Once again, I never said anything was definitive. However, many signs do point to Mr. Gollas IMO.
    Thank you for your input.

Gollas only reached the rank of Oberleutnant by the end of the war, which is 1st Lt. and just shy of Captain, which would eliminate the possibility of this being his tunic.

William Kramer

Quote by all1knew View Post
    Gollas only reached the rank of Oberleutnant by the end of the war, which is 1st Lt. and just shy of Captain, which would eliminate the possibility of this being his tunic.

William Kramer
    Photos and Docs of KC-Recipient Gollas - Page 4 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I hardly consider that a reliable source. Also, seeing how its been said he was a Leutant in 41' I find it difficult to believe he was promoted only once in over four years. Especially considering how quickly he rose through the ranks during the 30's. I am, however, open to any new documented information that may come to light as I much rather know the truth, obviously. As I've said, it being his tunic isn't definitive.
    Thank you, as well, for still working on this for me. That is very kind of you do to so.

Add: Regardless if it's his tunic or not, thank you for bring that thread to my attention. It contains some great information on Mr. Gollas.

well what are your reliable sources for stating this is Gollas tunic, because the tunic has an Iron Cross and loops for a wound badge? I provided you with the names of other Officer's that were awarded the RK and held a higher rank. My advice to you is to start with the probable, not the improbable. What is your source saying Gollas was promoted to Captain which would allow him to wear this tunic? In all of the period photographs shown through my research he is Senior NCO/Jr. Officer.

at the end of the day there is more against the tunic being Gollas' than supporting it.

William Kramer

Ahhh, I am not saying it's his tunic!!!!!!! I feel like a broken record. All I said is there are many signs that point to it being so. Quality, rank, size, position of awards, replacement of awards, awards awarded, insignia and its placement. I speak of quality due to he was a clothes horse, even opened a clothing store after the war, and this tunic is of high quality. As for the photographs of him as a NCO, those were taken in the 30's. The photograph Wagriff posted, and as he stated, is from 41' where he is at the rank of Leutant. I find it hard to believe he was only promoted once in over four years. Once again, thank you for your help. I am now closing this until something new comes to light as I'm tired of going in circles.

For the source please reread the thread and see who commented.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7