Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...

Article about: I recently posted a black leather greatcoat, which turned out to be a good find... http://warrelics.eu/forum/heer-luftw...-please-26370/ Purchased with the black one was this nice brown one,

?

Default Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...

I recently posted a black leather greatcoat, which turned out to be a good find...

German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...

Purchased with the black one was this nice brown one, which also shows a few signs of being from the TR period; liner fabric, stitching, etc. This one does not have a dagger hanger, nor does it have any slits inside the pocket for the dagger straps. It does have the typical thick collars you see on TR greatcoats, and what remains of a label stitched inside one of the pockets. Unfortunately time has washed away the details of the label.

Please let me know what you all think. Is this a wartime greatcoat? If so, can you tell me a little about it; what branch would it likely have been associated with, would it have been officer rank only, etc?

Thanks!
    Dzyner

Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...

Sorry, don't like the cut of this coat at all.Could be civilian TR but I doubt it.

Looks more Stasi than Nazi to me.

This is just an old leather coat. The lack of the usual military features, shoulder straps attatchments, dagger hangers preclude it. Also the cut is far too fancy. It would not have a belt either.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I was afraid of that. Oh well. At least I got one good one out of the set so far I have what I believe is a leather Kriegsmarine coat I'll post this morning. I'd like to know what you guys think about it as well.

Ade, just out of curiosity, you mentioned shoulder straps as being an accessory you'd find on these leather greatcoats, and belts as something they would not include, but I thought shoulder straps were optional (or perhaps some officers simply chose to ignore the regulation), and I've found some examples online where reputable collectors are selling coats with belts. Any thoughts?

The Collector's Guild

The Collector's Guild

Shoulder straps are always nice to find on a coat. No vital but good to see. I just don't like ones with belts. I just cannot recall seeing one in a period photo before? not that I have ever made any great study to find one. Also having a belt on the coat would make wear of the leather officers belt a hinderance.

Cheers, Ade.

I guess this image will only cloud the issue a little more then?

Brown Leather Greatcoat - Need Opinions Please...

Cheers
    Glenn

?

Hi Glenn66, thanks for posting the photo. I think that may be a leather Officer's belt, not the belt specific to the leather coat. Hard to tell in the photo since I can't zoom in, but I think I can see the two prongs of the claw buckle.

The adjusting belts on the cuffs and the type of buckle on the leather belt itself really do not look military for the period at all. I would wager with confidence that this coat was never military issue.