Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cavalry Uniform 1927 ? - please help

Article about: Hi there, I was reading through the posts here while searching for a cap to match this uniform. I was pleased to see so many people obviously well versed in this subject willing to share the

The overwhelming advice on this forum is usually to leave things as they are. I have sometimes darned or otherwise repaired large mothed areas on uniforms, but with small nips like this I dont think any repair is needed, it will display great as it is. In case they are of interest, here are some of my uniforms including a moth nipped officers tunic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cavalry Uniform 1927 ? - please help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cavalry Uniform 1927 ? - please help
    P
    Many

Thanks Hpl that was a typo lol. Is it possible to tell from the shoulder boards when he would have held that rank ? Also the tunic has no Piping, does that mean he would have had a different Dress jacket that went with the walking out trousers ?

It is a Reichswehr Rock that was apparently re-used during the TR era.
    The Hoheitsabzeichen is original. It is the version produced for EM/NCOs and meant for the Waffenrock. The way it is sewn over the pocket flap is a bit unusual for a continental tunic, but already seen. Usually it was done only with tropical tunics as they have an open collar that could hide a large part of the eagle if it was sewn above the flap.
    If these shoulderboards are period sewn on this tunic, it means that the bearer served within the former 6. Preussiches Reiter Regiment, later Kavallerie Regiment Schwedt.

Thanks for that great peice of info jphillip, what do you mean "period sewn" and is it possible to tell if the are ? can you tell me what "Preussiches Reiter" means and a date they may have changed to Kavallerie Regiment Schwedt.? Sorry for all the questions

Thanks Ade, Hopefully sometime in the future i will have something nice to display here.

Quote by Eclipse6225 View Post
    Thanks Hpl that was a typo lol. Is it possible to tell from the shoulder boards when he would have held that rank ?
    Not really. The only thing we can tell for sure is that the wearer held that rank at some point during WW2, but we can't even know whether he rose to that rank during the war or prior to it, let alone when.

Also the tunic has no Piping, does that mean he would have had a different Dress jacket that went with the walking out trousers ?
    There were several possibilities:

In 1927, Reichswehr officers were authorized a new walking out/mess dress tunic known as the Gesellschaftsrock. This one differed from the the Dienstrock in that it had branch-color pipings running down the front closure as well as dull silver pebbled buttons and bright silver collar patch embroidery and shoulder board cords. This tunic could be worn out until 31 March 1941.

In 1935, the Waffenrock dress tunic was introduced as a parade- and walking out uniform. The Waffenrock was discontinued soon after the war, but could still be worn for appropriate occasions by those who were already in possession of one.

In 1937, officers were also authorized to wear a geschmückte Feldbluse ["decorated field blouse"] which - like the old Gesellschaftsrock - bore branch-color pipings down the front. This could also be worn as an optional "walking out" uniform instead of the Waffenrock.

Of course, during the war years, the standard Feldbluse was also worn for "walking out".

can you tell me what "Preussiches Reiter" means and a date they may have changed to Kavallerie Regiment Schwedt.?
    The unit was raised in 1920 as Reiter-Regiment 6, i.e. Cavalry Regiment 6. ("Reiter-Regiment" literally translates as "Riders' Regiment.")

In 1921, it was re-designated as 6. (Preußisches) Reiter-Regiment, meaning 6th (Prussian) Cavalry Regiment.

In 1934, the regiment's HQ was relocated to Schwedt, where the 2nd and 4th Eskadron had already been garrisoned prior to this.

In 1936, it was re-organized and re-designated as Kavallerie-Regiment 6, i.e. Cavalry Regiment 6.

worn but still very nice to have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2