Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

'Der Popeye' Shirt?

Article about: Guys, Got this for a fair price looks like a popeye type shirt but for the opposition. Marked 'BAK' Bekliedungs Amt Kiel also with his little nametag stiched in, so that I would guess, he co

Default 'Der Popeye' Shirt?

Guys,

Got this for a fair price looks like a popeye type shirt but for the opposition.

Marked 'BAK' Bekliedungs Amt Kiel also with his little nametag stiched in, so that I would guess, he could claim the correct rig back from the dobby system?

There are traces of where the eagle was and there is enough starch to last a 1000 years, unlike the Reich.

I don't know what the red unit? marking is.

Photos with and without flash to show the vast contrast dependant on light source.

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Der Popeye' Shirt?   'Der Popeye' Shirt?  

'Der Popeye' Shirt?   'Der Popeye' Shirt?  

'Der Popeye' Shirt?   'Der Popeye' Shirt?  

'Der Popeye' Shirt?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Der Popeye' Shirt?
    P
    Many

Default Re: 'Der Popeye' Shirt?

It's in great shape Jock. Very interesting uniform piece. I don't know dittly about these but I like it. I wonder why they removed the insignia. Usually, they would do that to wear it post war, but this one hasn't been worn much. I was shocked to see how light blue the collar was. I had always thought the Kreigsmarine color was the dark blue. That's what I get for making suppositions from black and white photos. I need to read more books bearing color photos. Always something to learn. Yeah, AH should have tried alot more starch on his government. Thanks for showing.

Jay

Jock auld,....nice shirt, whats the exact wording on the 'BAK' stamp ? (i need new glasses!) as this shirt with this stamp looks to be imperial Kaiserliche Marine.....

Quote by oradour View Post
    Jock auld,....nice shirt, whats the exact wording on the 'BAK' stamp ? (i need new glasses!) as this shirt with this stamp looks to be imperial Kaiserliche Marine.....
    Jay,

In the hand it is Navy blue, that is my point with the camera, it all depends on the quality and ability of the operator, I am not good with cameras and I have a short fuse!

Oradour,

It Reads, B.A.K. then under that is 12.9.3? could be a 4. under that is a large 1. All enclosed within a T shape box.

Regards

Jock

A good purchase there Jock Its nice to see one close up

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

jock auld ...the reason I asked the above, is the striking similiarity to an Imperial Kaiserliche Marine white shirt, see attached photos, the stamp is identical too.....the stamp does indeed show the clothing store (Bekleidungsamt) at Kiel, followed by the date of issue 12.8.34. and the size of the item, '1'. The stitched in number is the sailors unit number and is typically stitched in red. White clothing was not to be worn during wartime according to regulations. Your shirt i would imagine is an early one (1934) and probably issued/worn during the transitional period from Reich Marine to Kreigsmarine ( Imperial items often re-issued/altered to the armed forces during Wiemar period) hence Imperial style shirt & stamp. Nice find.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Der Popeye' Shirt?   'Der Popeye' Shirt?  

jock auld ...the reason I asked the above, is the striking similiarity to an Imperial Kaiserliche Marine white shirt, see attached photos, the stamp is identical too.....the stamp does indeed show the clothing store (Bekleidungsamt) at Kiel, followed by the date of issue 12.8.34. and the size of the item, '1'. The stitched in number is the sailors unit number and is typically stitched in red. White clothing was not to be worn during wartime according to regulations. Your shirt i would imagine is an early one (1934) and probably issued/worn during the transitional period from Reich Marine to Kreigsmarine ( Imperial items often re-issued/altered to the armed forces during Wiemar period) hence Imperial style shirt & stamp. Nice find.
    Oradour,

Might it be that this style of shirt has not changed in cut much over the pre world wars up until the Bundeswehr? It seams that would explain a lot as the KM may have retained their traditions? I don't know as this is the only example I have, so no direct copmarison to a later (closer to the war) example.
    Jock

jock auld, you could well be right there....I am o.k. with most things Imperial, but later, you could say 'i'm all at sea' with.....