Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---

Article about: Now, I know this type is contested and there's no period proof that these are period but... I've got one and I'd like to put it up anyway. Reading a few threads it seems opinions are split,

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Ah, yes --- I think I saw that one before on here --- thanks for posting it again, nice one! The discussions and talk of the variation I have been rambling on about though has distinctly been regarding this particular "Bevo" (?) style armband that I posted -- so, even though they are stylistically more or less the same, I don't think we'll get much further comparing the two. Love the other two as well, perfect wool example! I sold my other armbands recently, two regular cotton NSDAP and one NSDAP Gau, but couldn't help myself a few days ago and now I already have a nice early style replacement SA/NSDAP on its way
    You sold something from your collection? You have will-power! I can't get myself to do that, lol. Looking forward to seeing your new piece!
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---
    P
    Many

Thanks for the input! I know there's a similar repro out there in Bevo that you can get for next to nothing, not too many differences other than the design being a tad bit simpler iirc --- this could be what you're referring to, they can easily be found online. And wouldn't the synthetic material you're referring to glow under UV lighting?

There is a big differce between "bevo" and your one.
    Synthetic polymer sometimes does not shine under UV.
    However it's up to you, as I said it would by be one for me.

I think you are correct, that it was Bevo. I just know there was a thread that covered this but it might have been from years ago when I used the search function to research mine. The fakers have learned to defeat the UV light test. The newer fakes will not glow but the older ones would. This is how I understand it.

It would do the armband justice to post a thread in the kampfbinde section and see if Bob Coleman can get eyeballs on it. Among other things, he's sharp with these things.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    There is a big differce between "bevo" and your one.
    Synthetic polymer sometimes does not shine under UV.
    However it's up to you, as I said it would by be one for me.
    Hey, I really do appreciate the input... I'm just trying to make sense of the points put forth, that's all. And, like I said, "Bevo" was only used in lack of a better word in order to distinguish this from other woven examples --- also, the repro I was talking about has a "Bevo Wupperthal" marking on it and is also "marketed" as a Bevo repro, although it may very well not be the correct designation.

I did not know that about the polymers... good to know!

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    I think you are correct, that it was Bevo. I just know there was a thread that covered this but it might have been from years ago when I used the search function to research mine. The fakers have learned to defeat the UV light test. The newer fakes will not glow but the older ones would. This is how I understand it.

It would do the armband justice to post a thread in the kampfbinde section and see if Bob Coleman can get eyeballs on it. Among other things, he's sharp with these things.

Mark
    Thanks for the input again, Mark! As I've gathered from some earlier discussions this exact type goes back at least 30-40 years but there are very similar obvious repros being produced and sold to this day. This was just a kind of random pick up from a dealer that gets in all types of rare items and it didn't cost all that much so, either way is fine with me... as usual, I just want to know

?

Here is a link to my site with photos of mine if you want for any reference.

Deutscher Volkssturm Armband
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thank you for the input, Rossi! That's certainly a nice one... I will very likely be getting one at some point, so it's nice to have some solid reference examples!

However, I would just like to note that I am aware of the cotton types that are widely accepted from before, this was just an interesting chance pickup --- and it did prove to be one that is rarely seen by what I've read, fake or not, also a type that some experienced collectors have at least some degree of faith in... at least over on WAF. In all the threads I have read on there re. this very type, not the printed ones and not the similar ones found online Deutscher Volkssturm Arm Band in Bevo, opinions were split and it usually came down to people being skeptical due to lack of period evidence. One collector dated them back at least 30-40 years remembering being offered a single example from a good source and now regretting not picking it up, while others speculated if they could possibly be locally produced variants.

Believe me, I do not have a lot invested here and I would love to prove this somehow, one way or the other --- fake or not. So far it seems most stick only to the cotton varieties, which was to be expected and if someone was to me show me droves of this exact type at military fairs just sitting there I'd apply for a refund asap. No questions asked --- But, for now it's definitely in the maybe pile --- happy to say that it's the only doubtful item in my collection though

Just did a burn test and at the very least I've found that it is not a synthetic fiber as suggested earlier. John of germanwarbooty.com remarked that the quality of the material and general look of these particular pieces were similar to that of period cufftitles --- I haven't actually handled any so I couldn't really say but having this in hand and looking at cufftitles online I can definitely see where he's coming from.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have actually never seen one of these before. So I cannot offer any real comment. Let's see what others think?

Thanks for showing it.

Cheers, Ade.
    never seen before adrian?? really?? I cant believe it... but... ok, years of collector

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2