Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Deutscher Volkssturm Wehrmacht armband for review

Article about: Hi folks. Received my frist Volksstrum Wehrmacht armband today. I'm pretty sure this is good, but I wanted to run it past the forum, particularly about the seam that threads it into the armb

Default Deutscher Volkssturm Wehrmacht armband for review

Hi folks. Received my frist Volkssturm Wehrmacht armband today. I'm pretty sure this is good, but I wanted to run it past the forum, particularly about the seam that threads it into the armband as it's the gray thread used and stitching I'm not 100% on. It seems like it might have been put together post war? I'm hoping that can be verified either way.

Thank you for your time and knowledge!

Scott

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutscher Volkssturm Wehrmacht armband for review
    P
    Many

The armband itself is 100% fine. The sticking is most likely original because there was not direct regulations on these armbands, hence why there are so many different sizes/designs/colors. Personally i would have no problem with it.

Thanks KMMorris for the feedback. Sounds like I may be over-thinking it on this one.

I didn't really have much interest in one of these up until recently when I found out what they were used for. It occurred to me, these armbands are a symbol of the desperation and lunacy of the last days of the Third Reich. While I found information on some units that found great success with the Volkssturm, there were also many who took up arms out of fanaticism, and those who did so because they had little choice or were terrified of the propaganda telling them what the victorious allies would do to them.

Seems like the armband represents many shades of the German people of that time, including the elderly, infirm, and unfortunate youth that were not fit for war, but otherwise found themselves fighting to the death for a lost cause, and NSDAP leadership who had no more regard for them than a gnat. It's probably the saddest piece in my collection right now, for these reasons. The Volkssturm was little more than a death sentence for the German people imposed by the very leaders they had believed would protect them and secure their glory.

It is quite a symbol of the final stand and the final months of the Thousand Year Reich. It is important to note that some Volksstrum did perform rather well due to there mix of reservist/WW1 veterans/radicalized members, however most were decimated by the overwhelming power of the Soviet and Allied advance. In the 7-8 months of the Volksstrums existence some 1.23 million official members died in the defense, a very sad story.

I like it!
    A nice example IMO
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

a good one!!! nice