Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Field marshal tunic

Article about: by ErichK This tunic sold at auction recently for \\$180,000. Annoying actually. I was offered the same tunic for 100k

Default Re: Field marshal tunic

very impressive, it hard to believe how some museums have extraordinary original stuff.

Is there anywhere that you can see Guderian tunic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Field marshal tunic
    P
    Many

Quote by Franz1944 View Post
    very impressive, it hard to believe how some museums have extraordinary original stuff.

Is there anywhere that you can see Guderian tunic?
    Here you go, from The Marshals Baton

Generaloberst Heinz Guderian's panzer wrapper

Field marshal tunic

Quote by vonbond View Post
    I dont know how much one of Rommel's tunics would be worth, a lot I would think. Here is a picture of one of his from a museum, I cant remember which though, sorry. I have a pair of field marshalls batons from the shoulder straps and I have been told that top price would be c$800 and they are the pre war type and much less valuable than the 2nd pattern, and they are not associated with a name, so you can imagine how much a named field marshals tunic would be.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry

This is NOT one of Rommel's tunic's. It is a souped up version of a tropical first pattern. Rommel's son Manfred has stated this is just a hoax. The museum also has other suspect pieces including the Guderian Pz wrap shown above. Most museums do not research the items they get. But the museums need money (like everyone else) so they are willing to take items that are not what they seem....Rommel only wore the standard first pattern briefly in Oct '42 when he was called back to Afrika during the beginning of the El Alamein offensive and did not have time to take his custom tunic with him. Otherwise he wore a custom tunic with the French cuffs etc. Notice the sun fading on this tunic, it has been converted to a generals tunic from an enlisted man. If it were Rommel's, there would be little fading based on the short time he wore it.

On another note, Rommel's famous leather overcoat and cap were stolen during the filming of "The Desert Fox" with James Mason in 1951 during production when they were both used in the film. Somewhere in some-ones collection they now reside.....

Quote by Tim OKeefe View Post
    Hi Jerry

This is NOT one of Rommel's tunic's. It is a souped up version of a tropical first pattern. Rommel's son Manfred has stated this is just a hoax. The museum also has other suspect pieces including the Guderian Pz wrap shown above. Most museums do not research the items they get. But the museums need money (like everyone else) so they are willing to take items that are not what they seem....Rommel only wore the standard first pattern briefly in Oct '42 when he was called back to Afrika during the beginning of the El Alamein offensive and did not have time to take his custom tunic with him. Otherwise he wore a custom tunic with the French cuffs etc. Notice the sun fading on this tunic, it has been converted to a generals tunic from an enlisted man. If it were Rommel's, there would be little fading based on the short time he wore it.

On another note, Rommel's famous leather overcoat and cap were stolen during the filming of "The Desert Fox" with James Mason in 1951 during production when they were both used in the film. Somewhere in some-ones collection they now reside.....

That's really interesting! I always believed at least the Rommel tunic was good.

Here's another hoax. GFM Wilhelm List summer tunic.

Field marshal tunic

Quote by Tim OKeefe View Post
    Hi Jerry

Thanks for the info Tim. I did know that Rommel only wore one of these for a short period and wasn't sure if this was his original, as many of these famous tunics in museums are not what they are claimed to be and when I first posted this on another forum on a thread about the AKCT, I stated then that it might not be correct.

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I do remember you stating that this tunic may have not been Rommel's. But wanted to let our members here know that as well. A little more info. The Musuem claims it is original (of course) and also claims to have some documents that prove it, but these have never been seen in public. However Manfred states in a letter (now in public domain) that the Museum asked the Rommel family for some items of the GFM and the family sent one set of his boots and some personel effects. Guess the Museum wanted to draw more people so the hoax was born....

Not sure of the story on the Guderian wrap, but several advanced Pz collectors have claimed it is not his either, based on how the Museum handled the Rommel situation i tend to believe them and not the Museum.

Museums are often not what they seem these days. Would strongly recommend that no collector loan or donate anything of value to any museum. Have heard too many stories of items being lost & going out the back door....

As for the leather overcoat that story still does not have an ending, yet.

Jon, Thanks for posting another hoax

i saw a couple of years ago on an internet auction site that the cap James Mason wore in the movie "The Desert Fox" was auctioned off for a mere $300.00!!...could this hat have been the loaned 'Rommel' hat???

Quote by militarymania View Post
    i saw a couple of years ago on an internet auction site that the cap James Mason wore in the movie "The Desert Fox" was auctioned off for a mere $300.00!!...could this hat have been the loaned 'Rommel' hat???
    Hi

Very interesting information. Four possible explanations....
    1. It was the cap that replaced the original visor after it had been stolen during the filming.
    As the leather overcoat and original cap had to be replaced with copys to finish the film.
    2. It actually was the original visor and the seller did not know what he had.
    3. It was the visor worn by James Mason in the Desert Rats '57.
    4. It was just another reproduction, not in either film.

I tend to think it may have the been either #1 or # 4 theorys. Would think that if the original visor was offered the overcoat would have been as well, perhaps as a set...this would fetch the numbers first mentioned in this thread. It is still out there somewhere....?

Sorry to chime in with a post that will attract a lot of flak but in my opinion this thread is both useless and out of place,read in the wrong forum...and I don't want to sound either disrespectful towards its starter or polemic at all!
    Speculations like this are fun when sitting at the pub in front of a pint or two,but rather pointless in this forum.
    There are much more interesting things to discuss here than questionable tunics,but if you want something "real" here you go:

F4F Wildcat FM2 WW2 Aircraft - eBay (item 220699167500 end time Nov-26-10 07:04:55 PST)

How much would a 190 D-15 (only a handful built) in the same conditions fetch?Or a Pz.Kpfw III Ausf A?Or JC's tunic?Or the Holy Grail?Or......
    Cheers
    Manny

?

This tunic sold at auction recently for $180,000.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Field marshal tunic  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast