Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Fixing up an Iron Cross.

Article about: Hey forum new guy here. I am here to ask if anybody could give any advice as to making an iron cross I just obtained look nicer. Things like how to polish the silver fix up the coat etc. Pic

Das Jurn
    ?

Default Fixing up an Iron Cross.

Hey forum new guy here.

I am here to ask if anybody could give any advice as to making an iron cross I just obtained look nicer. Things like how to polish the silver fix up the coat etc.

Pic is the cross, will take more if necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixing up an Iron Cross.  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Fixing up an Iron Cross.

Hi and welcome. My advice....don't. If you MUST do something to it, do nothing more than apply a mild detergent soap in warm water with a very soft tooth brush. Follow up with a hair dryer to thoroughly dry trapped water under the frame, followed by a spray of WD-40, then dry. Polishing will only remove the original patina and result in your having to re-polish periodically. Whatever you do, don't touch up or repaint the finish. I have seen way too many EK's molested and nobody wants them. EK II's are by no means rare in the Imperial and TR examples, so if you want t mint untouched example, they can be found quite easily.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Leave it alone, especially since it is a rarer, "round 3" variant. . .

iron cross
    ?

leave it, any ways it does not look bad. By keeping it how it is will keep the value but once you start doing alot it will bring the value rate down.

Welcome to the forum! Good advice here from the guys, leave it well alone!

Cheers, Ade.

Das Jurn
    ?

Well thanks the help guys, Ill just leave it alone for now. The guy I bought this from lives in Maine and has boxes of these for 80$ a piece I buy most of my stuff from him

ONLY -good oil, nothing else

?

I would not even place oil on it... it tends to mess with the paint, after a while.

What part of Maine? I am from there.

Das Jurn
    ?

This little shop in Kenabunkport called Smileys the guy runs the shop with his wife nice people.

Find a piece of original ribbon and display it as is.

Bill