Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a German Kaiserliche Marine or Kriegsmarine badge?

Article about: Hello! I purchased this nickel-plated badge, dated 1914, with what appears to be a reference to the SMS Medusa. which was put into service in 1900, but recommissioned in 1914, and was used t

Default Is this a German Kaiserliche Marine or Kriegsmarine badge?

Hello!
    I purchased this nickel-plated badge, dated 1914, with what appears to be a reference to the SMS Medusa. which was put into service in 1900, but recommissioned in 1914, and was used throughout WWII. The badge has brass mounting pins on circular bases. Is this a German Kaiserliche Marine or Kriegsmarine badge?Is this a German Kaiserliche Marine or Kriegsmarine badge?I found a reference to the exact design, as a medal produced by V. Schwartz, and sold in a collection of Third Reich material that was Kriegsmarine-heavy. The badge is of the exact same dimensions. This is the presentation medal:Is this a German Kaiserliche Marine or Kriegsmarine badge?Is this a German Kaiserliche Marine or Kriegsmarine badge? https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...medallion-1914

The badge has a rather brilliant finish, but the photograph emphasizes its oxidation. The wear is well-represented, to give you some idea as to the minimal use the badge actually received, with its oxidation indicating exposure to maritime conditions, I would surmise. This bade was not excavated, in other words. Am I at all correct in this identification?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a German Kaiserliche Marine or Kriegsmarine badge?
    P
    Many

Medusa was a popular theme during that time...Here she is under the heading "Gott strafe England"...God Punish England...
    Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a German Kaiserliche Marine or Kriegsmarine badge?  

you could be right.

So, does it seem to date from WWI, the Weimar period, or WWII? The mounts seem to be earlier, resembling those from some shoulder badges (for badges that incorporated a felt backing), but I suppose this varies by manufacture.

It's a WWI-Era Piece...Perhaps an unofficial cap badge or some type of Patriotic Adornment, in my opinion....
    Glenn