Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a German WW2 uniform?

Article about: Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me if this is a German uniform? The picture is of a person that have claimed to be in the Norwegian cavalry either just before or after WW2. My problem

Default Is this a German WW2 uniform?

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me if this is a German uniform?

The picture is of a person that have claimed to be in the Norwegian cavalry either just before or after WW2.

My problem with this picture is that it is dated 1942 in on the back. I would not expect that a person was walking around in Norway during the war with a Norwegian uniform.

As far as I know the person was in Norway during the entire war, and this leads me to believe this might be an German uniform?

Can you confirm this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a German WW2 uniform?
    P
    Many

?

Maybe NS uniform, the badge reminds me of one of these, and the hat badge may very well be one like this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a German WW2 uniform?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this a German WW2 uniform?  Is this a German WW2 uniform? 

It's not a German uniform.

I think he could be a member of the Norwegian Labor Service [Norges Arbeidstjeneste].

Yes, it looks as the Norwegian labor service Arbeidstjeneste,
    see a likewise photo from one of my books.

And yes, it must be wartime, as in my opinion he is wearing
    the VAKT-badge (Vaktkommando/Vaktlag) upon his leaft pocket
    with post 1.
    Enlisted functioning as guards did wear this type of badge, which
    is a button-hole shield. It was only worn when on duty.

Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 11-20-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Thank you all! This is great information. It is highly appreciated!

I guess I must learn more about Arbeidstjenesten as I know nothing about it.

As far as I can see it was "required" to serve in Arbeidstjenesten, but I'm wondering if this actually was done more or less voluntary? Since it appears to be under NS and Quisling control I cannot see that a person would like to join them if not supporting the NS ideas?

Is a person who served in Arbeidstjenesten considered a "traitor" for example, or was this just something one had to do?

?

I read somewhere that AT was mandatory and many kids went into hiding to avoid the AT especially when the war luck turned for the axis, do remember that NS wasnt seen as bad guys everywhere, 70years of post45 propaganda has given us that impression.

I talked with several old NS members in the mid 80s and early 90s (i believe it was) and also people with NS members as neighbors, and surprisingly i were told that most of these people were NS members believing they could help other humans in need around in Norway and outside the borders as red cross sisters or as front fighters.
    Last edited by TrondK; 11-21-2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: double posting of same post