Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

grateful for any information

Article about: Hello, I am new to this forum and would be very grateful for any information on the following photographs. They are of my German grandfather. I am researching and compiling a family history

jesso23
    ?

Default grateful for any information

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and would be very grateful for any information on the following photographs. They are of my German grandfather. I am researching and compiling a family history for my children, and am having some success with my English grandfather, who was lieutenant commander of the Ark Royal, but do not know where to start on the German side, and would like to provide a balanced account for them. Thank you again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture grateful for any information  

2. # ADS

He was a Luftwaffe/Air Force Officer...I believe in Administration...I see no awards at all...
    cheers, Glenn

The photos seem to depict service over time. The top photo with rifle is a bit too fuzzy but it looks like Opa is wearing an early Heer (Army) transitional uniform. Need a clearer photo. Later, it appears he went up through officer ranks in a Luftwaffe (Air Force) related position. The bottom left photo seems to show an early "droop tail" Luftwaffe breast eagle. Others need to weigh in on these photos. NH

He was a Beamter [official] in the Luftwaffe [air force].

The insignia worn in the photographs at bottom left and center left are for a Beamter auf Kriegsdauer [temporary official for the duration of the war] of the Gehobener Dienst [elevated career group] with a rank equivalent to an Oberleutnant [1st Lieutenant].

Insignia in the photographs at bottom right and center right are for a Beamter [official] of the Gehobener Dienst [elevated career group] or possibly the Höherer Dienst [high grade career group] with a rank now equivalent to Hauptmann [Captain]. (Note that officials wore dark green collar patches with three-pointed rank "stars" instead of the rank "wings" worn by soldiers.)
    These two photographs were taken at a later date. The Beamte auf Kriegsdauer (for short Beamte a.K.) were never intended as a permanent institution and, if possible, were to be trained until they could be appointed as Beamte des Beurlaubtenstandes (for short Beamte d.B.), i.e. reserve officials. This was clearly the case here.

(The actual rank designation held by him cannot be told from the photographs, as it depended on the official's career/occupational specialty.)

The photograph at top right shows him in what appears to be an army uniform, probably during compulsory military service or (as he appears to be a bit older than a typical conscript) during the abbreviated military training to which certain older age groups were subject after the re-introduction of military conscription in Germany.

I would have gone for the rank of Hauptman.