Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Greatcoat authenticity

Article about: So got some photo's of this greatcoat that i got from my dad. hoping i do this right. Whole coat (buttons on left are missing, but were there once, threads still there) The buttons on the fr

Default Greatcoat authenticity

So got some photo's of this greatcoat that i got from my dad.

hoping i do this right.
    Whole coat (buttons on left are missing, but were there once, threads still there)

The buttons on the front are 25mm, with an FLL makers mark and an enscription of an eagle.

On the inside lining there is a rip/tear, which i thought could be from a prisoner search, for documents perhaps.

The collar is throwing me a bit, doesn't look all that original to me with the 33 tag, I thought it might have been sticthed on after, perhaps by the opshop that my dad bought it from

The other buttons are black plastic (3 on the rear pleat, and 1 just near the collar), i think its missing a few though.

The back strap thing has 2 more 25mm FLL buttons dimpled buttons, but have a different backing on them (has the big slit like on some kriegsmarine buttons ive seen)

Im curious about the authenticity of this greatcoat, im fairly sure the buttons are legit, however they are enclosed dimpled buttons which i didnt think were standard (mostly see the hollow dome buttons), my first thought would be that its a replica coat with real buttons sewn on to pose as an original.
    However, that rip on the inside tells me it could be the real deal.
    Also the bottom dimpled button on the front has been re-sewn (poorly done with a different thread), i thought this might have been the cause for the rip but seems a but overkill just to fix a button.
    The tag doesnt look original to me but as i said, it could have been sewn on after by the seller. There are no other stamps or tags that i can see, checked all the pockets and nothing in there.
    The lining of the coat is black, has a satin look to it but feels more like a cotton twill. (not overly experienced with materials)

I will add, the front left outside pocket has a smaller pocket inside it, and the pockets are lined with a heavy canvas type material.

If anyone can help me out id really like to know more.
    Authentic? Dated? and how can you tell?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Greatcoat authenticity
    P
    Many

Default Re: Greatcoat authenticity

Looks like a KM greatcoat.

Post war West German by the looks of it.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade is correct. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Hi, thanks for your replies, I was wondering if you could tell me what identifies it as a postwar and as a KM greatcoat?
    I tried to find photos but most of the KM greatcoats ive found have the same lining, but different buttons. (most had 4-6 buttons on the front) also most KM greatcoats and tunics i saw had an eagle or something on the front, not the plain dimple style.
    Also if someone has a photo of this being worn?

Thanks again in advance

Quote by DamonRudd View Post
    Hi, thanks for your replies, I was wondering if you could tell me what identifies it as a postwar and as a KM greatcoat?
    I tried to find photos but most of the KM greatcoats ive found have the same lining, but different buttons. (most had 4-6 buttons on the front) also most KM greatcoats and tunics i saw had an eagle or something on the front, not the plain dimple style.
    Also if someone has a photo of this being worn?

Thanks again in advance
    The buttons and tag show it to be west german. I have a couple 60's BGS cammo jackets with the same plastic buttons and has the same size tag.