Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heer breast eagle - impulse buy

Article about: I picked up this supposed late-war eagle on a whim, and am now wondering if I outsmarted myself. Is this one legitimate, albeit ugly? (Sorry about the "white" threads on the revers

Default Heer breast eagle - impulse buy gone bad?

I picked up this supposed late-war eagle on a whim, and am now wondering if I outsmarted myself. Is this one legitimate, albeit ugly?

(Sorry about the "white" threads on the reverse blowing the picture out a bit.)

Best regards,

G. Kelly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer breast eagle - impulse buy   Heer breast eagle - impulse buy  

Last edited by 3986QMTC; 09-18-2013 at 05:27 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer breast eagle - impulse buy
    P
    Many

Im no insignia expert, but it looks like a pigeon head fake, but wait for the experts to chime in.

Here is a similar one from my collection
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer breast eagle - impulse buy  

Ive got one of these, I was (am) under the impression it was genuine late war eagle.

if you compare both eagles you can see there is a difference in the body and head, this one i bought from Kai Winkler The History Shop

Arminius' eagle doesn't have the doesnt have the same head as the other one which is my main concern.

Crappy example of the crappy looking mid to late war eagle IMHO These are cheap to buy being very common in unissued condition and are not very attractive to my eyes as you might have gathered.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Crappy example of the crappy looking mid to late war eagle IMHO These are cheap to buy being very common in unissued condition and are not very attractive to my eyes as you might have gathered.
    They are certainly not things of beauty; I actually like the looks of, say, the M42 helmet (even though the execution often leaves much to be desired), and some other late-war equipment, but these embroidered insignia are - to paraphrase - "nasty, brutish and cheap." Nonetheless I have been looking for a specimen at the right price, and the combination of low cost and seller's reputation persuaded me to go out on a limb. I only questioned this one because it seems even uglier than average, which is perhaps a value judgment too far for me to make.

FWIW, this particular specimen did pass the "black light" test only moments ago, and I had already managed to purloin just enough thread to give it a passing grade on the "burn " test.

Regards,

G. Kelly

Appears to be a late war breast eagle as already stated the Cyrus Lee Soldat books have one like it on a M-44 tunic which would be proper. They were hastily made late in the war so quality and looks are out. They do make Repos of these Don't rely 100% on burn test I bought a bunch of SS insignia in the late 70's that was made by a Faker in Austria using original SS thread and material so it passed the burn test OK and blacklight also. Your eagle is probably OK as already stated. However as stated Eagle's head is strange the second one posted in this thread looks like the one I once got in a Vet lot. timothy

maybe not the sexiest bird, but a good late war original in my opinion. Matt