Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Kriegsmarine trade patch identification

Article about: Hi guys, I got this for Christmas this year. To me, it looks like some sort of scribe trade patch. I really don't know much about these. Is it even original? Thanks, Mo

Default Help with Kriegsmarine trade patch identification

Hi guys,

I got this for Christmas this year. To me, it looks like some sort of scribe trade patch. I really don't know much about these. Is it even original?

Thanks,
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Kriegsmarine trade patch identification   Help with Kriegsmarine trade patch identification  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Kriegsmarine trade patch identification
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Help with Kriegsmarine trade patch identification

HI, it`s a clerical NCO career sleeve insignia.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks Pete!

?

I found it comes in at least two other grades too,one is like yours with one stripe and the other for EM with only the crossed quill pens.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

So there were three seperate versions for officers, NCO's, and enlistedmen?

?

No,the one with the one stripe under the anchor just appears to be a higher senior NCO grade,they also come in blue on white for the white uniform.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    So there were three seperate versions for officers, NCO's, and enlistedmen?
    Basically, it breaks down like this:

• Seamen below Petty Officer rank [Mannschaften, i.e. those up to and including Oberstabsgefreiter] wore their specialty insignia in the form of circular cloth badges on the left upper arm (above their rank chevrons).
    • Junior Petty Officers [Unteroffiziere ohne Portepee, i.e. the Maate and Obermaate] wore combined specialty- and rank insignia in the form of oval cloth badges on the left upper arm. Their design always included an anchor (in a few cases, two crossed anchors). The Obermaat ranks were identified by a chevron below the device.
    • Senior Petty Officers [Unteroffiziere mit Portepee] wore their specialty insignia in the form of metal devices on their shoulder boards.
    • Commissioned Officers wore their specialty insignia in embroidered form above the sleeve braid or as metal devices on their shoulder boards/epaulets (depending on the type of uniform and order of dress worn).

(All this applies to the white and blue uniforms; the field grey and tropical uniforms are another matter.)

What you have here is the combined specialty- and rank insigne for a Schreibersmaat. A Schreiberobermaat would have worn the same badge with an additional chevron below the anchor-and-quills device.

This version with a gilt metal device (it has lost its gilt finish) on a dark blue badgecloth patch was for wear on the dress jacket and pea-coat. A golden-yellow machine embroidered version on blue cloth was worn on the blue shirt and a blue machine embroidered version on a white washable patch was for wear on the white shirt and the white work uniform.

Thank you Andreas!