Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I need help identifying this Tunic...

Article about: Can anyone help me identify this Tunic? Also, can you tell from the photos whether or not everything about it is authentic? What about it's collector value... any clue how much it's worth? T

?

Default I need help identifying this Tunic...

Can anyone help me identify this Tunic?

Also, can you tell from the photos whether or not everything about it is authentic?

What about it's collector value... any clue how much it's worth?

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I need help identifying this Tunic...   I need help identifying this Tunic...  

I need help identifying this Tunic...   I need help identifying this Tunic...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I need help identifying this Tunic...
    P
    Many

Default Re: I need help identifying this Tunic...

Luftwaffe Tuchrock for an Obergefreiter of Flieger KriegsSchule.

The breast eagle is replaced for sure. I do not like the ribbon for the KvK either as this looks like a modern repro ribbon. The collar rank gulls may be replaced too.

A similar one is currently for sale at 890 Euros. No idea if that is a good price or not?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade!

Do you know whether or not the one listed for 890 Euros has the same repro pieces as this one?

FYI - I'm considering purchasing this Tunic, but not if the asking price of the seller ($900 USD) is too high considering the repro pieces you mentioned. What do you think? Would you pay $900 USD for this?

I think this is a nicer example:

WW2 German Luftwaffe tunic

Granted, this one is more expensive.

The other is OK for the price, but that is reflected with the replaced (not repro) eagle etc.

Cheers, Ade

?

Ade,

So when you say "replaced" you mean that you think the eagle and rank gulls are "original", just not original to this particular Tunic?

How can you tell? I'd really like to know what you look for in order to spot these things in the future.

Yes, original but replaced on the tunic.

Look very closely at the area around the breast eagle: there is evidence of the original eagle being stitched there. Also this one is just sewn on a tiny bit too low. The rank gulls also stand very proud of the collar tabs: ones which have been on there for nearly 70 years will lie flat onto the cloth.

Cheers, Ade.

?

WOW, you have one heck of an eye for detail Ade! I think very few people would think to look for these things. I'm even having trouble seeing any signs of a previous eagle - but I certainly trust your eyes.

What about the other patches, are you confident they're authentic and original?

The other insignia looks fine. The shoulder straps look nicely fitted.

The trade patch and rank stripes have to be a judgement call, given they were hand sewn on at the time. An in hand inspection would be needed to tell for sure. They look original items.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hey Ade!

You posted earlier to my "Forestry Tunic & Visor - Is this set 100% auth?" thread. This tunic was one of the 4 that I mentioned purchasing. Now that I have it in hand, I shot a few more photos of the questionable pieces of the tunic. Would you (and anyone else who would do me the favor) please have a look at these new photos and let me know if you still think the items are replacements?

Thanks Ade!
    Dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I need help identifying this Tunic...   I need help identifying this Tunic...  

Hi Dzyner, these are much better pics.

I still think the KvKII ribbon is replaced/added. Look at the wear to the knap of the wool down the leading edge of the tunic, it shows a fair bit of wear: does this wear extend under the ribbon? Or is the wool protected and less worn? Of course it depends as well on when he was awarded it It might be worth blacklighting this ribbon. To me it looks new. The edge of the ribbon shows no wear. Looking at the inside, there appears to be a lot of moth tracking where they have eaten the top layer of the wool: check if this extends under the ribbon as some of it certainly leads up to the ribbon.

The collar tab gulls I cannot tell: they look better here as they are not sticking out.

The breast eagle I am now changing my mind about. Before I thought I could see a trace of a previous placement. Photos can be hard to judge at times, especially if they are not really clear. That's my story anyway and I am sticking to it

The trade badge is fairly crudely sewn on: again this does not break it, but the rank stripes are much neater done: if the airman did both of these himself you have to think why the difference in skill level?

As you can see, collecting tunics gives you a lot to think about and they require careful close detailed examination. In hand is always best. Photos can give you an idea but sometimes not the final say.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast