Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identification and value help required for small collection

Article about: Thanks to everyone for your input on the first thread on my small collection. I thought I would post the should boards etc next as they seem most difficult for me to identify. I have 23 item

?

Default Identification and value help required for small collection

Thanks to everyone for your input on the first thread on my small collection.

I thought I would post the should boards etc next as they seem most difficult for me to identify. I have 23 items and they are all singles. Being very inexperience in these matters I am not sure whether just having one is a major problem. Three of the items have a bit of moth damage but given that they have been in storage unattended for 60 odd years I guess i am lucky that it is only 3. Anyway, now for the piccies.

2 Slight moth damage to the blue edging

3 Slightly larger than the one above

4 EM's Reichschule fur Luftaufsicht Should Strap???

11 FLAK ARTILLERY EM'S SHIRT SHOULDER STRAP

17 A Bit of moth damage on this one

19 Another one with a bit of moth damage

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identification and value help required for small collection
    P
    Many

Default Re: Identification and value help required for small collection

Hi Andy, once again, lets get the easy bit out of the way. They are all original. All Luftwaffe.

Pairs are always worth more than single shoulder straps/boards. But they are still very collectable. Moth will detract badly on the values.

The most desirable types shown are the blue cotton shirt shoulder straps.

OK, deep breath, here we go:

1) Sonderfuhrer, rank equal to a Major.

2 & 3) Luftwaffe Medical other ranks. Size difference can be down to tunic or greatcoat size.

4) Luftwaffe other ranks. Air traffic control school. Reichschule fur Luftaufsicht

5) Eastern Foreign volunteers NCO.

6 & 7) Shirt straps "L" is for Lehrtruppen.

8) Flight/Para NCO. Unterfeldwebel.

9) Flak NCO Oberfeldwebel

10) Flak NCO. You need to remove the extra pip near the buttonhole, which should not be there, then you have a pair with the previous one.

11) CORRECT! Go to the top pf the class. LOL

12) Senior NCO. Stabsfeldwebel Air traffic school flak

13) Other ranks shirt, signals

14) NCO flight/para Unteroffizier

15) Other ranks, Shirt flight/para

16) Eastern Foreign volunteer Officer flight?

17) Flight/Para NCO. Feldwebel

18) Other ranks flight/para. Should not have the Medical insignia which is NCO's quality.

19) Lehrtruppen NCO Flight/Para. Unteroffizier

20) Eastern Foreign volunteer Officer?

21) NCO candidate. Flight/Para. Unusual narrow braid to this one. Nice 44 pattern strap. See how they have saved materials on these?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Gosh once again.

I have been hard at it all morning adding titles to pictures for all the trade badges which are covered in one of the books i managed to acquire - Badges & Insignia of the Third Reich by Brian Leigh Davis.

It seems like my old man was fairly selective about his acquisitions. Unused items for the most part hence the great condition on most of them.

With the shoulder boards out of the way the last major hurdle - though I suspect not for forum members - will be the collar tabs. Whilst there are over 100 items at leastt here are only 6 colours.

Thanks again Ade for your help. I am even beginning to enjoy learning more about what I have.

Hi Andy, here is a link for you to determine the rank and arm of service.

Axis History Factbook: Collar Tabs of the Luftwaffe

Rank will be easy for you to determine. Then note the colours for each branch of service, donated in brackets.

I will post a couple of pics here which you sent me privatly to illustrate the basic types, ie tunic or greatcoat.

Cheers, Ade.

These are for the Greatcoat. Note the longer shape and the "tresse" (NCO's broad silver braid applied direct to the tab) On the tunic this tress goes just around the collar and not unto the tab itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images Identification and value help required for small collection  Identification and value help required for small collection 

While these are for the tunic, Other Ranks. Note the more square looking shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images Identification and value help required for small collection 

I strongly suspect that no. 21 is not for an NCO candidate, but also for an Eastern volunteer in Luftwaffe service.
    As Ade already pointed out, the braid is narrower than that usually found on NCO candidate boards. Furthermore, it is not the usual slip-on loop of braid, but an integral, sewn-on part of the board's construction.

Here are two other examples of Luftwaffe-style Eastern Volunteer shoulder boards:

Axis History Forum • View topic - Ukrainian Luftwaffe volunteers

So, apparently, the Luftwaffe's Eastern Volunteers wore shoulder boards made in a "German" style, but with different rank insignia.
    Unfortunately, while they obviously existed, I cannot find data on them in the standard references. Schlicht & Angolia only list the ROA's usual "Russian-style" shoulder boards for the Luftwaffe's Eastern volunteers, i.e. the wide, angular, dark green ones like illustrated here:

Russian Liberation Army - ROA / Russische Befreiungsarmee - Русская Освободительная Арми&#1103

If the Luftwaffe's "German-style" Eastern Volunteer shoulder boards followed the same system of rank identification marks as the Heer's "Russian-style" boards - which seems quite likely to me - the boards in the photographs above identified:

# 5 = Unteroffizier / У́нтер-офице́р
    # 16 = Major / Майо́р
    # 20 = Leutnant / Подпору́чик
    # 21 = Gefreiter / Ефре́йтор

Mind you, all this is just a personal theory of mine.

I agree with your observations.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    While these are for the tunic, Other Ranks. Note the more square looking shape.
    Thanks for the info on the collar tabs Ade. I should be able to sort those tonight and get the data cards written up.

Just a few bits to go and the identification phase is all sorted. It will probably take a while to get averaged (dealer) values sorted

But well under way thanks to the forum.

Andy

?

I still trying to find information on no's 5,16,20 and 21 above.

If they are indeed eastern volunteers in luftwaffe service would there be any entries in reference books? I have not been able to track any further information down on these.

Also does the yellow braiding signify flight or pilot?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast