Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Info needed on this German volunteer Cossack uniform

Article about: I'm not really sure what these "uniforms" are called and I had not seen one before but I found it to be very interesting! I am not sure if this is fake or not but i would like to k

Default Info needed on this German volunteer Cossack uniform

I'm not really sure what these "uniforms" are called and I had not seen one before but I found it to be very interesting! I am not sure if this is fake or not but i would like to know more about them. It came up for auction and this is the only photo I have of it. It did not sell because the owner wanted a bunch for it!! I was not convinced that it was authentic but I do not know anything about these. Does anyone have any photos of soldiers wearing these??? The seller had about a dozen uniforms and he wanted a fortune for all of them. The only one that sold was this Luftwaffe and field gear grouping.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info needed on this German volunteer Cossack uniform   Info needed on this German volunteer Cossack uniform  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Info needed on this German volunteer Cossack uniform
    P
    Many

Default Re: Info needed on this German volunteer Cossack uniform

This was known as a Cherkesska and the looped cartridge pouches were known as Gaziri. It was part of traditional Cossack dress as well as part of Red Army uniform. Fakes abound!

http://rkka.ru/uniform/files/i_kav.htm

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade! Very interesting there were two at the auction and one looked great and one looked horrible. But the guy had some American uniforms that were very very nice so who knows! Do you have any photos of these being worn in combat?

I do have some pics which have never been published before, but they are framed up in my collection room, so I cannot share them, sorry. But if you search "cossacks in german service" you will find several good pics online.

Here is the German General Von Pannwitz in Cossack dress on a Russian edition of "Signal" magazine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images Info needed on this German volunteer Cossack uniform 

Great Ade I found some good stuff online. One thing I noticed about the Cherkesska (thanks for teaching me a new word!) at the auction was that the cartridge loops did not look like they were made to actually hold ammo. They did not look tight enough to hold anything which made me think that they were fakes. I would assume they were made to hold 7.62X5r for the nagant? because they all seem really big for 8mm mauser

They don't actually hold modern ammo, they are more of a traditional feature of the coat.

Cheers, Ade.