Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

KM Eagle unusual variation or fake

Article about: I've tried to search all the posts before asking this question since I'm sure someone has asked this same question before. Needless to say, I can't find another pic that resembles this eagle

?

Default KM Eagle unusual variation or fake

KM Eagle unusual variation or fakeKM Eagle unusual variation or fakeKM Eagle unusual variation or fakeKM Eagle unusual variation or fake

I've tried to search all the posts before asking this question since I'm sure someone has asked this same question before. Needless to say, I can't find another pic that resembles this eagle. The threading on the eagle's chest, the ring around the swastika, the straight short lines between the main wings and the thread on the reverse over the swastika don't match anything I can find. Patch King? or some other repro or a variation? Wing tip to tip is 3 5/8, purchased in early 80's with other material that is verified.

I'm lost on this if anyone has an input.
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KM Eagle unusual variation or fake
    P
    Many

Default Re: KM Eagle unusual variation or fake

Hi Steve, it's unlike any I have seen before, but I'm not liking it.

Tom

Old copy IMO, the weave above the fold line and the weird feathering on the chest are both indicative of that.

Are the threads it's woven from twisted or straight?

The Belgian made eagles usually attributed to Reitz are a bit unusual and are not something I am familiar with, so it might be one of them, though that might be clutching at straws.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 04-09-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Guys,

Jerry the threads appear straight and rather silky. The black thread appears twisted. The beak/head I wondered about but I really have no clue at this point.

?

we had a strip of them from a flea sale , cut them into eack eagle for sale later

Quote by Bond View Post
    Old copy IMO, the weave above the fold line and the weird feathering on the chest are both indicative of that.

Are the threads it's woven from twisted or straight?

The Belgian made eagles usually attributed to Reitz are a bit unusual and are not something I am familiar with, so it might be one of them, though that might be clutching at straws.
    Jerry, what concerns me most about the eagle in post #1 is that the swastika is not visible from the rear. Even on the Reitz items the swastika was visible.
    See here: New Page 1

Tom

Hi Tom. I agree, I posted that I think it's a copy and only mentioned Reitz because they are a different to "normal" insignia. I bookmarked your link for future reference, as I had seen it before but could not find it. Thanks for posting it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, not at all implying that you said it was good, but always good to explore all avenues. At least this strengthens your opinion of it being a copy. Win-win?

Tom

?

Thanks for the inputs and the quick link to the Belgian made insignias. Glad to know some of what I was suspecting was correct.
    Cheers,
    Steve

I have to ask about the backing fabric being gray in appearance. I have seen other eagles (that have all the hallmarks of period originals unlike the eagle being discussed) with that gray rayon backing on trusted dealer sites. How come most have the green rayon but others have gray?