Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Long Leather Officers Coat restoration

Article about: Hi guys i bought this are apart of a group, did not play on buying it but just did all other items are good so i dont see why this wont be, but ive not got much room to store ATM it so might

so it is a WW2 Item then?
    i did buy it in a group it would look very nice on display if some one could change the buttons and get more officer items to put with it
    but i am thinking of selling it hopefully to get my money back on it, as i can't display it ATM

Thanks Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Long Leather Officers Coat restoration
    P
    Many

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Buttons will have been conventional silver or field grey pebbled finish as found on all Officers uniforms. These would be easy to replace.

Cheers, Ade.

The buttons on the leather coats have a very long loop.

Here is the specification in the Kleiderkasse catalog.

The bluish color of the garment makes me think it must have been for the Kriegsmarine, whereas the other services had a grey leather.

Here is a thread on the Ledermantel to give you an idea of what they look like:

Post Your Ledermantels!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Buttons will have been conventional silver or field grey pebbled finish as found on all Officers uniforms. These would be easy to replace.

Cheers, Ade.
    do you knwo where i could get some buttons for this, as the brown buttons kill the hole look of the Coat

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It's had a lot of post-war refurbishing to make it civilian wearable, I would imagine. Coats were in scarce supply in the immediately post-war time period, so many a military tunic and coat made the sacrifice and went into civilian service. It Looks to be in fairly decent condition but is, nevertheless, 70+ year old leather, and would take considerable fiddling with to bring it back to anything near mil-specs again. Many Officers in the war also chose to private purchase their own leather trench coats, so finding one that is 100% untouched and noncontroversial is always a difficult task. I can't really set an exact figure for value on it because of all the alterations-despite their possibly being a part of it's history, but I can't imagine it bringing more than in the range of a few hundred dollars..
    yeah i paid about £200-225 for it TBH in a group
    yeah its smells like 70 year old leather, would you do anything to bring it back up to good quality spec?
    so whats been altered apart from the buttons?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The bluish color of the garment makes me think it must have been for the Kriegsmarine, whereas the other services had a grey leather.
    ill post some pics in the daylight for a better look does seem more back but im unsure

Thanks every one for your input

Martin

Hi guys im going to update this thread as i want to restore this coat, i been told it would of had sewn in shoulder boards.

i want to change the buttons also ive found to original black buttons on the inside looks like original thread also and black studs.
    hope you guys can help advise me on buttons and maybe shoulder boards.
    and where to get them from

i think the coat is a dark grey/blue/black lol

Pic
    1. inside pocket (original button)
    2-3. black studs
    4-5 shoulders
    6. original small back button
    7. both black buttons
    8-9. main buttonhole, brown button
    10. inside pocket button
    11. the under button

Long Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restoration
    Long Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restorationLong Leather Officers Coat restoration

Yes, you would need the long-shank buttons with the s-rings to keep them in place.
    They are very hard to find, and last time I saw them being sold, a dealer was asking $20/ button....

Hi thanks, S rings like these?

Yes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast