Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??

Article about: The lowest of clothing items ( pun intended ) is the Gamaschen - or gaiter - that the Germans used with their low boots. Hated by many but certainly ubiquitous to the mid to late war soldier

Default The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??

The lowest of clothing items ( pun intended ) is the Gamaschen - or gaiter - that the Germans used with their low boots.

Hated by many but certainly ubiquitous to the mid to late war soldier.....

This is my offering - a late war ( stamped W44 ) unissued pair. A good indicator of period is the non-roller buckle and the 3 strap holes .... the Bundeswehr used similar ones but always had a roller buckle and five holes in longer straps ( just to trap the unwary )

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??   The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??  

The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??
    P
    Many

?

I one old vaguely MIL looking set in OD somewhere.

I use a modern set of gaiters on a regular basis in the woods.
    They really work well for keeping crud n mud off the trouser.
    Not a bad idea at all.

Never knew the difference in the non rolling buckle on a war period pair, and the rolling buckle on a post war pair. Is the material of the canvas and the leather the same between war time and post war Gamaschen?

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Never knew the difference in the non rolling buckle on a war period pair, and the rolling buckle on a post war pair. Is the material of the canvas and the leather the same between war time and post war Gamaschen?
    I think the material is the same - that's what makes it hard to tell. And the BW ones that come onto the market are equally worn so unless you check the strap holes and buckles you get fooled.....

What if they have a roller buckle but 3 holes on the straps?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??   The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??  

The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??   The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??  

The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??   The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??  

Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

You can't beat a good pair of "retreat gaiters"!....

Quote by Danmark View Post
    the Bundeswehr used similar ones but always had a roller buckle and five holes in longer straps ( just to trap the unwary )Cheers, Dan
    and here's a pair of July 1963 dated Bundeswehr ones for comparison.............................
    Proist ! Steve.

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    What if they have a roller buckle but 3 holes on the straps?
    Well then my source is incorrect! !!!
    Here is an obvious exception.

Thanks Don.

very nice set dan ,but alas i only own the west german version like stevefor learning purposes ill post mine too The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??The lowly Gamaschen - who collects them??

Thanks James! .... I guess as Don has shown one cant be dogmatic on the roller buckle - but the five hole strap is the main indicator ( obviously the BW soldiers had fatter ankles ...... )

Thanks all, Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast