Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The lowly Infantry signal Blitz

Article about: Hello, I am going to take a moment of your time and show you why I find collecting Heer insignia so fascinating. One of the most prolific patches made before and during the 2nd world war, th

Fred Green
    ?

Default The lowly Infantry signal Blitz

Hello,

I am going to take a moment of your time and show you why I find collecting Heer insignia so fascinating. One of the most prolific patches made before and during the 2nd world war, the Infantry signal blitz. In Feb 1924 it was established. It was a a blitz,or lightning bolt, on field grey badge cloth and moleskin.The lowly Infantry signal BlitzThe lowly Infantry signal Blitz

2. # ADS

Fred Green
    ?

Default Re: The lowly Infantry signal Blitz

The lowly Infantry signal BlitzWith the advent of the Third Reich. the facing color for the uniform was changed to dark green in 1935-36 time frame.This is a transition piece during this time frame with the new facing color used but the old blitz design also used.

Being designated a a specialty patch some manufacturers used the round specialty patch base cloth.

Fred Green
    ?

Finally they got there ducks in a row and manufactured the standard pre 1940 patch that we know today. This example still has its price tag still attached.Notice that it is embroidered using a very fine white thread.

Here is another example embroidered using a thick white thread.The lowly Infantry signal Blitz

Fred Green
    ?

In 1940 the facing color changed from dark green to field grey. As with the dark green examples, these were also done in a fine and thick thread. This example is done with a fine thread.The lowly Infantry signal Blitz

Very nice Fred.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Fred Green
    ?

This lowly patch was also made for the African theatre in wool for the overcoat and in cotton for the tunic. Here are 2 different examples in wool and 1 in cotton.The lowly Infantry signal BlitzThe lowly Infantry signal BlitzThe lowly Infantry signal Blitz

Fred Green
    ?

In the very later years of the war ,late 1944-1945, the lowly signal blitz was manufactured on a rayon material that resembles cheescloth.The lowly Infantry signal Blitz

Fred Green
    ?

Hopefully you can see why Heer insignia intrigues me. 1 lowly signal Infantry blitz with all of these variations and I have only included ,in the most part, design changes. The variation in material and makers marks is near endless.

Fred

Great thread Fred and some lovely examples. The pre war versions are very uncommon to see and the white on tropical tunic version is very rare (and one I don't have in my tropical blitz collection).
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Fred.

I think even these "humble" items illustrate well the construction quality of the period and should be studied by new collectors.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1