Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia

Article about: Hello all, Just wanted to offer this up for any opinions before I part with any money. I'd love to see this in are holocaust museum here in Houston. I feel very good about this one. My opini

?

Default Re: luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia

The parts are original. The question as we know is when they all came together.

Now, is the tunic for your personal collection or for a museum?

If it's for your own collection and you're happy to have a tunic that's been put together then no problem. If you don't want that, then pass it by.

If it's for a museum, think how hard it might be to find an untouched tunic of this type. Are the public viewing it really going to know there's a question mark over the assembly of the component pieces? Will they get the chance to see another tunic of this type?
    If it's for educational purposes and demonstration then I wouldn't see any reason not to use it for that.

Is there a dearth of untouched tunics on the market? Sooner or later all untouched pieces will be in collections or be passed around within the collecting community. I bet a very good percentage of tunics on the market will all have had some improvement, repair, restoration work carried out on them.

Is that enough for a collector to turn their nose up at them? Not from my point of view. If I want a tunic and can't find an untouched piece I'm happy with I would look to a restored tunic as long as the components were all original. Sometimes beggars can't be choosers so weigh up the chance of this one at a price you're happy to pay against the chance of finding another at a price you're not so happy to pay.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia
    P
    Many

Great advice Adrian. To answer your question, both. I want to get this tunic to loan it to the museum. Don't see why I'd, as a collector, need to "donate" it.

- - Updated - -

Great advice Adrian. To answer your question, both. I want to get this tunic to loan it to the museum. Don't see why I'd, as a collector, need to "donate" it.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    rubbish
    Dear Colleague,

Whilst your reply is indeed quite informative and comprehensive, it is missing something I am unable to place.

Please, enlighten us all with elaboration...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Just to keep this thread going I thought it would be nice to show a photo of the tab in wear. Pics are rare of these. A mixture of regular camp guards wearing both runic and Totenkopf tabs with older Heer men drafted in.

Credit for the pic to G Hanson.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

sorry y c ade hit the nail on the head.

From the looks of that pic,
    The SS got to keep all there insigina,
    But the Heer, and others had to change theirs to
    the double swastika..
    Like I stated before, the SS were the best of the best
    No honoary SS members.. Meaning they get NO special
    treatment/privies form the SS..

Honorary was not the best word to use.

- - Updated - -

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    sorry y c ade hit the nail on the head.
    I'm sorry I don't understand.

edit- Sorry, I understand now. Though you were saying why see (y c) Now realized you mean youthcollector. Is there a certain way you have determined this tunic was creatd post war?

So what I'm beginning to conceive to, is that there is absolutely no way to determine when the construction of this tunic was in a scientific manner? Only thing I can do is use contexts clue such as the hand stitched eagle and missing boards to make a personal judgement?

If your worried about the price, why dont you get a re-pop one from one of the remakers..
    There are some REAL CLOSE copies to the real thing for a fraction of the price..
    If your going to donate it, will the museum really know if its real or not?? Will they really care??
    My guess is no.. people will be like three feet away from the tunic and 99% of the people will not
    even know if its a real tunic or not...
    Any ways there are ALOT of re-pop stuff in museums just for the WOW factor..
    Shoot youthcollector, go to the local Texas museums there, and ALOT of the
    Poncho Via crap is all re-poped, just to get people come back and tell other people
    did you see what so and so museum has??
    You mean to tell me the Lorado, San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin museums
    ALL HAVE the same bandoleers that poncho is wearing in his pics??
    I think NOT...

Quote by FJ5 chally View Post
    If your worried about the price, why dont you get a re-pop one from one of the remakers..
    There are some REAL CLOSE copies to the real thing for a fraction of the price..
    If your going to donate it, will the museum really know if its real or not?? Will they really care??
    My guess is no.. people will be like three feet away from the tunic and 99% of the people will not
    even know if its a real tunic or not...
    Any ways there are ALOT of re-pop stuff in museums just for the WOW factor..
    It's not the price, it's the issue that this tunic has been represented as a original constructed tunic.
    Also, I never purchase reproduction for one reason. After its left my hands, who's to say the next owner will not represent it as a original item. As for the museum, they also refuse to use reproduction.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast