Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia

Article about: Hello all, Just wanted to offer this up for any opinions before I part with any money. I'd love to see this in are holocaust museum here in Houston. I feel very good about this one. My opini

Default Re: luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    I do agree with you both. However, opinion from such members as Bob, FB, and others alike, should not be easily dismissed. They have hard earned information and knowledge that can most likely determine wether or not something is correct or incorrect. I agree, you most rely on your own opinion at the end, but respectly consider theres at the same time. Sometimes others can and do know best. I know they would never mislead a member just to gain something in the end.
    Agreed 100%..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia
    P
    Many

I hope I haven't been misleading. This tunic would be mine first. I would only be loaning it to the museum for a period of time if they wanted it. This is a item which has a huge amount of history which many people dont ven know. Most people think only the SS worked at he camps. This is why I feel it needs to be LOAN to the museum. As for the owner having direct knowledge, they are not involved in this aspect of the business. They have a director of collections who handles it, someone I have already worked with. They are always looking for new items.

Quote by Bond View Post
    It is a 39 dated LBA stamped Luftwaffe tunic which has had a poor job done of re applying the eagle and a better job done of adding the "camp" collar patches, but it is almost impossible to say when these changes were made, as obviously, it almost certainly did not start out with the collars it has now and so they have been added to it. It might be possible to tell when they were added from an in hand inspection or from much better pics than have been shown so far. I think it is safe to ignore the eagle, as many tunics would have been stripped of their "Nazi" insignia in the post war period, but that does make me wonder why the collars were also not removed at the same time, as the swaztika collar certainly looks very "Nazi" to me and I suspect that it has all been re applied IMHO.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! You explained it very well. This is what I was looking for.
    What type of better pictures would help determine when the collar tabs were added?

Another thing to mention is the pins on the back of the gull patch do not look to have settled into the fabric of the collar and also show no signs of tarnishing and to my eyes it is a put together job of relatively recent date, all original parts by the look of it, but not something that as a whole was ever likely to have been near one of the camps. IMO save your money for an undoubted example as this one has too many issues with it to ever be considered 100% right and it will, as others have posted, always be something that will bug you. The old adage that if it is too good to be true, or in this case too cheap to be true is something to think of and sometimes it is best to just let it go no matter how much you want it to be good because you are the person this pimped up tunic is aimed at, someone who wants to believe in it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Bond View Post
    Another thing to mention is the pins on the back of the gull patch do not look to have settled into the fabric of the collar and also show no signs of tarnishing and to my eyes it is a put together job of relatively recent date, all original parts by the look of it, but not something that as a whole was ever likely to have been near one of the camps. IMO save your money for an undoubted example as this one has too many issues with it to ever be considered 100% right and it will, as others have posted, always be something that will bug you. The old adage that if it is too good to be true, or in this case too cheap to be true is something to think of and sometimes it is best to just let it go no matter how much you want it to be good because you are the person this pimped up tunic is aimed at, someone who wants to believe in it.
    Awesome assumption Mr.Bond... Is that James Bond??

Very true Bond, very true. I have asked the seller for more detailed photo's. I've also am going to try to contact the prior owners who had it in hand to ask there opinions on it. Thanks to everyone for all your hellp. I hope this thread will turn out to be beneficial to future researchers. I have to many questions to buy this and be "happy" sadly. I've been looking for this for quite some time, but as others have said, even rare items will show up again. Without this item having the history, to me it becomes valueless.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    What type of better pictures would help determine when the collar tabs were added?
    What you need are oblique pictures of the tabs to see if they look to have settled into the fabric of the collar, as they should have done if they have been there since before 1945.

- - Updated - -

Quote by FJ5 chally View Post
    Awesome assumption Mr.Bond... Is that James Bond??
    The name is Bond, Jerry Bond.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you kindly Bond.

?

I was to show the pic of the camp, but Adrian showed it already. But I have this interesting photo in my files, maybe it can help alittle in your desicion regarding this tunic.
    Attached Images Attached Images luffwaffe tunic with camp insignia 

?

Personaly, I wouldn't ever loan anything from my collection to a museum.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast