Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Cape

Article about: Good day everyone, I was shown a Luftwaffe Cape a few days ago. Similar to the one posted below. I was just curious to see if anyone knew a value for them. I have searched online at a few di

Question Luftwaffe Cape

Good day everyone,

I was shown a Luftwaffe Cape a few days ago. Similar to the one posted below. I was just curious to see if anyone knew a value for them. I have searched online at a few different dealers to no success. It seems no one has any for sale. I remember reading a while back they are a rare find. Is this true?

Thank you,

Brendan

Luftwaffe Cape

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Cape
    P
    Many

?

Hi Rockett,

In general, Luftwaffe officer capes are uncommon: not rare but I haven't seen too many of them over the years. That doesn't always equal desirability, though. These don't sell as well because I don't see as many collectors enjoying the pre-war and early war dress uniforms like this. With Heer, there are a lot of collectors with Waffenrocks, but far fewer when it comes to LW.

The specific cape you're referencing here used to be in my collection. It was far rarer than a typical officer's cape for a couple of reasons.

Was the cape that you were shown this exact one, or a standard officer's cape?

Best regards,

Jason

Hello Jason,

Interesting to hear this. That would be amazing if it was the same one you owned. Now I took this picture from another forum because yes the cape looks exactly like this one. I have seen it in person and looks just like it. Hope this helps

Thanks

?

The branch color was a feature of the pre-war years, so there are other surviving examples of those (although still rare among surviving capes). You will know if it's the same by the clasps and the name tag.

J-

Thank you for all the help Jason. Any idea the value of this item? I have never had the opportunity to purchase one so I was just curious. Or if you had a ball park range.

?

Value? That's very subjective and is based on a number of factors. It went for around $2k at auction a few years ago, so I guess that's a ballpark for you. Although that's lower than what I thought it should have sold for then, and higher than what I would pay now.

But again, value is subjective.

I'd love to see photos if it's a different example; it's goood to know there may be another surviving cape out there. You can always PM me if you don't want to share them here yet.

Best regards,

J-

Thank you. Yes I will send you a message depending on how it goes. I appreciate all the feedback and assistance with this. If I can Ill get pictures and send them to you via pm.

Thanks,

Brendan

?

Brandan - you are very welcome. Also, if you send me a photo of the clasps and name tag of the one you are looking at, I can confirm for you if it's the same one I had used to own. Pm me if you'd like and we can exchange email addresses.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Jason