Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.

Article about: Found this Luftwaffe m43 hat for sale today. looks good but would like the input of the forum before i buy.asking price 325.00 U.S..your help is greatly Appreciated. Thank You

Default Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.

Found this Luftwaffe m43 hat for sale today. looks good but would like the input of the forum before i buy.asking price 325.00 U.S..your help is greatly Appreciated. Thank You
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.   Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.  

Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.   Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.
    P
    Many

I am not a big fan of that one, friend...I've owned a few of these late-war M43s...Here's my advice before you spend your money: If it doesn't match the features of this original example (Triangular Insignia, Material, etc) than you should wait for a less dubious piece...The Wool Repros have gotten tricky over the last few years, better be safe than stuck with a dud...They are not rare, and you are likely to find a better deal out there anyway...Notice that your cap and the one I show are supposedly from the same producer, as the RB#s are the same...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.   Luftwaffe m43 opinions plese.  

Glen thanks for input. will hold off. Thank you for your time.Regards Deadeye

Actually I disagree, the cap that started this thread is a 100% good original cap, and with period applied insignia too, attached as per the
    vast majority were with this particular manufacturer, that is a hand applied eagle with a machined on cockade that goes over the lower
    portion of the swastika. Just about every non messed with cap that I have seen by this maker (0/0501/0015) has the two piece insignia
    applied like the cap that 'deadeye' posted.

Glenn, you have a nice original too, but I fear your trapezoid insignia is re-applied post-war.

Bob

?

This is just for my education so please understand my questions.
    Deadeye does your M43 show the reinforcement material that Glenn shows in his 3rd picture?

I have been using this lack of material as one sign of a reproduction and if I'm wrong PLEASE correct me.????

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    This is just for my education so please understand my questions.
    Deadeye does your M43 show the reinforcement material that Glenn shows in his 3rd picture?

I have been using this lack of material as one sign of a reproduction and if I'm wrong PLEASE correct me.????

Semper Fi
    Phil
    i didnt notice when i was looking, if the reinforcement material was present or not. will have to go back across town to see.wont be until next week before i can return to check it out. thanks

The 'bias' material you mention Phil is actually for a very rarely used chinstrap which went through these two loops on the side of
    the M43 cap and went under the chin, when the fold down sides were being used in cold weather.

This maker (0/0501/0015) seemed to basically use two piece insignia on all of their caps, they may have used the trapezoid late war,
    but so far, I have never seen this maker with a trap type badge at the front, only two piece badges.

Here is another, and rarely both badges are hand applied (more usually the eagle is hand done, and the cockade machined over the top),
    but this one is also period applied, as you can see by the stitching which goes over the tips of the eagle's wings. The insignia was applied
    before the cap itself was completed.

Bob

?

Thank you Bob, I'm just wondering if the lack of this bias material is a good sign to spot a repro. I don't want my questions about other M43 to take away from Deadeyes post.
    Thank You once again PM sent.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Bob, where would the 'bias ' material be located on the cap. and if no "bias" material is present .does that mean the m43 is no good. thanks

Hi 'deadeye', the material is a small strip on either side of the interior portion that folds down on an M43 cap, it was basically for a hardly ever used cloth
    chinstrap arrangement, and my guess is that these were more than likely held at the issue depots as they never seem to come up with the caps that have
    survived, there is a nice photo in the book 'Einheitsfeldmutze' that was published in the UK a little while back.

Not all M43 caps had the small loop on the sides either, and especially private purchase officer caps will more frequently be found with the loops missing, so
    it isn't a dead set way of telling a repro from a good one, but suggest looking at various photos of original examples that have been posted up on various
    forums to get a idea of the way period made caps are made, there is a very good thread over on the WAF that illustrates a heap of good originals, which is
    a pinned thread in their headgear section, if this is of any help.

Cheers

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast