MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Pilot/Aircrew Armband

Article about: Hi, I picked up this yellow Luftwaffe Pilot/aircrew armband. From the little I can find/know, it was designed for use by downed pilots/aircrews to identify them after 1944. From what I can t

Default Luftwaffe Pilot/Aircrew Armband

Hi,

I picked up this yellow Luftwaffe Pilot/aircrew armband. From the little I can find/know, it was designed for use by downed pilots/aircrews to identify them after 1944. From what I can tell is that they are fairly scarce. I am looking to trade it with a fellow collector (I'm more of a dagger, bayonet, knife guy) and I was wondering what the approximate value is of this item.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Pilot/Aircrew Armband
    P
    Many

I believe these were for civilian workers in aid/support
    of the Luftwaffe. Anyway, these are not that
    expensive, IMO - under $100.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought at first too, but after more looking I found different sites saying that it was for aircrews...

http://www.hiscoll.com/viewitem.php?id=10223

I am not contradicting what you are saying as I am a novice (obviously), but I am just trying to figure out if there is a difference between these armbands or if the other site is wrong.

Thanks,
    Phil

For downed aircrews is correct.

Of very late-war vintage, these armbands were officially introduced with an order of 29th December 1944 (published in the Luftwaffenverordnungsblatt vol. 45, no. 26).

Their purpose was to provide Luftwaffe personnel who were flying missions over German territory with a means of "identification and distinction from shot-down enemy aircrews" ["Kenntlichmachung und Unterscheidung von abgeschossenen feindlichen Besatzungen"].

something I have learnt,thanks HPL.

Yes indeed - myself as well.......... !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thumbs up

Interesting info!
    I've had one of those for years. I always thought it was for civilian employees of the Lw.
    Sarge