Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Luftwaffe Summer Tunic

Article about: Looks like a good original tunic to me, and no signs that it has been pimped. you do sometimes see these type of clips to hold on the buttons, though not often and the British used them as w

Default Re: Luftwaffe Summer Tunic

Yes, it looks like you are right Walkwolf, the eagle appears to be pinned directly to the cloth...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Summer Tunic
    P
    Many

G43
    ?

Thank you very much for the detailed analysis and opinion!

Quote by oksnevad_2 View Post
    hmm...
    Did not like how the buttons for the collartabs were attached, they dont really look professionally done IMO. It is possible that this uniform has been put together
    post-war.
    odd none of the experts on the WAF had anything negative to say about the tunic when originally posted:

Luftwaffe medical Major summer tunic display - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I also find it odd that the USGI that brought this uniform back with him would have grabbed the "parts" to put it together postwar rather than just grabbing one of the hundreds of wartime pieces that required no work when he brought back his goodies. There was far more that came with this uniform, and here is the exact visor that came back with it as well:

http://www.military-antiques-stockho...6&kategori=167

As far as the collar tabs, you can see the Reserve tab that came in the grouping, as did the Luftwaffe sword among the DLV dagger and everything else from the same Officer. I would be willing to bet there was a promotion to Major while owning the tunic.

This was a private-purchase tunic, and every piece is going to show some "individual" traits.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Summer Tunic   Luftwaffe Summer Tunic  

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The breast eagle is positioned to high. Normally, the botton
    of the swastika touches the button hole threads.........
    the tunic pictured on the cover of the reference, KC winner Hans Kolbow's tunic, has an eagle that doesn't touch the button either

(and its a droop-tail just like the one I'm showing below that also came in the grouping)

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Summer Tunic   Luftwaffe Summer Tunic  

Quote by oksnevad_2 View Post
    Yes, it looks like you are right Walkwolf, the eagle appears to be pinned directly to the cloth...
    it is not. Tailored in the same fashion as the buttons.

William Kramer

KC winner Benno Hermann's tunic (non-touching eagle)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Summer Tunic  

here are numerous photos showing eagles pinned to the tunic cloth. Here we see the differences in pocket flaps as well, once more showing the variances in these private purchase pieces:

Luftwaffe Dress White Uniform

Period photos showing eagles going through individual holes on the tunic (like mine) as well as being pinned externally. Photos showing straight pocket flaps and not. Photos showing eagles touching the button and not touching the button. Each tunic has individual traits to it, and variances.

William Kramer

Luftwaffe Summer Tunic   Luftwaffe Summer Tunic  

Luftwaffe Summer Tunic   Luftwaffe Summer Tunic  

G43
    ?

Thank you for the additional information William! Please pardon my ignorance but correct me if I'm wrong. So the breast eagle on your tunic is attached by the tailored hole and secured with a clip you pictured in post 15?

Quote by G43 View Post
    Thank you for the additional information William! Please pardon my ignorance but correct me if I'm wrong. So the breast eagle on your tunic is attached by the tailored hole and secured with a clip you pictured in post 15?
    no, two tailored holes. Pin goes in and "weaves" through, make sense?

William Kramer

G43
    ?

Ok simple enough. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast