Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Tunic Stamp question

Article about: I recently pick up this M40 Panzer Grenadier tunic. I wanted to share this with you, but I had a question about the faded size stamp. The previous owner believed that there was possibly a &q

?

Default M40 Tunic Stamp question

I recently pick up this M40 Panzer Grenadier tunic. I wanted to share this with you, but I had a question about the faded size stamp. The previous owner believed that there was possibly a "Unit Stamp" below the faded sizing stamp. In certain light, there appears to be "something (letters / numbers)" present. From your experience, is there anyway that these faded numbers can be brought out, to further identify the unit?

M40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp questionM40 Tunic Stamp question

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Tunic Stamp question
    P
    Many

?

Absolutely no way to see the stamp friend.

The only thing you can do is hold it under light and move the area around - looking at it from an angle to see if anything reveals itself. NH

?

Yeah! Thanks! I was afraid of that. I'll keep trying. I wish there was a "Crime Lab" type way to bring up the letters. Then again, I'm sure if there was a technique or chemical to bring it out, it would probably ruin the material... definitely not worth it...

MAP
    ?

To the rescue maybe

There actually are a few things you can try. No gty that they will work though...

1) use a black light

2) take the picture and try to manipulate it on a photo software using different color, saturation and contrast settings. This has worked for me in reading very faded ink on helmet liners. See here:

Reading a name...

3) and last...but not least on that I have not yet tried. Night vision goggles. Read this link. They swear it works and the results are amazing.

An awesome way to see old dates on WW2, WW1 field gear - CRAIG PICKRALL FIELD & PERSONAL GEAR SECTION - U.S. Militaria Forum
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Very interesting MAP. I've tried black light and manipulating the photos alittle. I will still try. Night Vision Goggles may be worth a try. I neve thought of that. Now I have to find someone with NVG's.

MAP
    ?

Good luck. The results shown with the NVG were amazing. I had a pair I bought for my kids years ago but they left the batteries in too long and they leaked...killing the goggles 😠
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)